|Stats at a Glance||CHIST||VALPO|
|FG Percentage||.360 (18-50)||.397 (25-63)|
|3P FG Percentage||.308 (4-13)||.286 (6-21)|
|FT Percentage||.500 (6-12)||.786 (11-14)|
ROBINSON - 3
ROSENBERG - 1
ROSS - 1
CAPOBIANCO - 1
|Stats at a Glance||BCU||VALPO|
|FG Percentage||.500 (24-48)||.548 (23-42)|
|3P FG Percentage||.364 (4-11)||.533 (8-15)|
|FT Percentage||.545 (12-22)||.742 (23-31)|
- 5||VAN WIJK
KENNEY - 3
- 3||VAN WIJK
Wednesday, November 21, 2012
Valparaiso (3-1, 0-0 Horizon)
Games #5-6: Friday, Nov. 23 - Chicago State (1-3)
Saturday, Nov. 24 - Bethune-Cookman (1-3) OR Nebraska-Omaha (1-4)
Athletics-Recreation Center (5,000)
Next Up in Crusader Basketball: Valparaiso hosts a four-team pod to close out the Joe Cipriano Nebraska Classic on Friday and Saturday. The Crusaders will take on Chicago State Friday at 7 p.m., with Bethune-Cookman and Nebraska-Omaha meeting at 4:30 p.m. Then, on Saturday, the losers of Friday’s games will match up at 4:30 p.m. and the winners will meet for the title at 7 p.m.
Last Time Out: The Valparaiso men’s basketball team earned their first road win of the season with a thrilling 88-83 overtime win Sunday afternoon against Kent State in Kent, Ohio. Senior Kevin Van Wijk tipped in a missed free throw with one second remaining to tie the game 75-75 and force an extra session. Van Wijk ended the game with a career-high 25 points.
Following the Crusaders: Radio - Valpo Sports Radio Network - WAKE (1500 AM, Valparaiso), WJOB (1230 AM, Hammond) [Friday only] - Todd Ickow (PxP) on the call
Video - Horizon League Network
Links for the audio and video, as well as live stats, will be available through www.valpoathletics.com.
Head Coach Bryce Drew: Bryce Drew returns for his second season at the helm of the Valparaiso men’s basketball program in 2012-2013 after leading the Crusaders to the Horizon League regular season title in his first year as head coach. Drew was named the Horizon League Coach of the Year after guiding Valpo to a 22-win campaign, including a 14-4 mark within the league to capture the title by two games. Drew ascended to the head coaching position on May 17, 2011 after spending six seasons as an assistant and associate head coach with the Crusaders.
Series Notes: Valpo owns a 30-3 all-time advantage in the series over Chicago State, including a perfect 14-0 mark at the ARC. The series has been dormant since December of 2007, however. The Crusaders have never matched up with either possible opponent on Saturday on the hardwood.
...and the @HorizonLeague
- @ValpoBasketball has been picked to win the @HorizonLeague regular season title.
- The Crusaders received 40 of the 44 first-place votes in the #HLMBB preseason poll.
- This marks the first season since 2002-03 (Mid-Con) that @ValpoBasketball has been preseason league favorites.
- The Crusaders were the only team to place two players on the #HLMBB preseason First Team All-League as well.
- @ValpoBasketball has also been tabbed the preseason @HorizonLeague favorite by @CBSSports and @AthlonSports, among others.
- The Crusaders were ranked seventh in the preseason Mid-Major Power Rankings by NBC Sports College Basketball Talk (@CBTonNBC).
- @ValpoBasketball is currently ranked 21st in the Mid-Major Top 25 poll, voted on by mid-major coaches and produced by @CollegeInsider.
- @ValpoBasketball earned 3 points in the preseason @AP_Top25 poll.
- The Crusaders had not received votes in a national poll since a 4-week stretch near the end of the 2010-11 season in the coaches poll.
- It was the first appearance in the @AP_Top25 also receiving votes for @ValpoBasketball since March of 2002 (5 points).
...looking back at last year
- @ValpoBasketball claimed its first @HorizonLeague regular season title in 2011-12, winning the crown by two games.
- The Crusaders earned the right to host the #HLMBB postseason tournament by winning the regular season and advanced to the championship game.
- @ValpoBasketball played at Miami in the first round of the postseason NIT, the Crusaders’ 11th postseason trip in the last 17 years.
- The Crusaders won 22 games overall in 2011-12, their 12th 20-win season in the last 19 years.
- @ValpoBasketball boasted the #HLMBB Coach of the Year (Drew), Player of the Year (Broekhoff) and a second First Team selection (Van Wijk).
- @ValpoBasketball will play four of its next five games on the road following this weekend’s games.
- The Crusaders will travel to take on Saint Louis next Sunday, December 2 in a game televised on Fox Sports Midwest.
- Valpo will then return home for a game against IPFW from the ARC on Wednesday, December 5.
- Valpo needed 45 minutes to secure its win at Kent State on Sunday, out-scoring the Flashes 13-8 in overtime for the 88-83 win.
- @ValpoBasketball has won its last three overtime games and is 6-2 in extra time since the start of the 2010-2011 season.
- It marked the Crusaders’ first overtime win in non-league play since a 99-94 2OT win over Miami (Ohio) in February of 2008.
- Kevin Van Wijk put back a missed free throw with 1.3 seconds left to send the Crusaders into overtime with Kent State on Sunday.
- Erik Buggs made his first free throw with 4.7 seconds left to cut the deficit to two points before Van Wijk’s putback.
- @ValpoBasketball had just a 7.5% chance to win following 2 KSU FTs with 7.2 seconds left, according to @kenpomeroy.
- It was the first buzzer-beater for @ValpoBasketball since Buggs’ coast-to-coast layup to win at Detroit last season.
- The last four buzzer-beaters to win or send games to overtime for @ValpoBasketball have all come at the basket, dating back to 2007.
Taking Advantage of Charity
- The Crusaders went 34-for-41 from the free throw line in the overtime win over Kent State.
- @ValpoBasketball had not hit 34 free throws in a single game since a Feb. 8, 1997 win over Northeastern Illinois.
- The Crusaders’ 41 free throw attempts were their most since Nov. 11, 2011 at Georgia Southern.
- Van Wijk (13-14) and Buggs (7-9) both set new career highs for free throws made against the Flashes.
- @ValpoBasketball currently leads the Horizon League, hitting at a 78.3% clip from the free throw line.
Connecting From Inside
- @ValpoBasketball has ranked among the top-5 in the nation in 2-point pct. each of the last 2 years, both years hitting above 55%.
- The Crusaders have ranked in the top-5 in the nation in 2-point pct. despite not having a regular taller than 6'8" either season.
- Valpo hit a season-best 67.7% (21-of-31) from inside the arc in the victory over Kent State last time out.
- @ValpoBasketball has given up just 150 points total through the season’s first three games.
- The 150 points is the fewest combined given up by a Valpo team in its first three games since moving to Division I.
- Valpo allowed 50 points or less in back-to-back games for the first time since Jan. 2003 (NIU 46, Nebraska 50).
- The 50 points scored by Nebraska was the fewest @ValpoBasketball has given up in a loss since Jan. 16, 1984 vs. Western Illinois (41-40).
- Valpo defeated Georgia Southern by 31 points in its opener, its largest season-opening win over a D-I school since moving to D-I.
- The Crusaders followed with a 23-point win over Northern Illinois, first back-to-back 20+ point wins since Dec. of 2009.
- @ValpoBasketball hit 13-of-24 from behind the 3-point line in each of its first two games of the season.
- The Crusaders' 13 3-pointers in the opener were their most since hitting 15 in the #HLMBB tournament vs. Detroit in March of 2011.
- Valpo hit over 50% from behind the arc in consecutive games for the first time since Jan. 2007 (11-20 vs. IUPUI, 12-16 at WIU).
- Chicago State (1-3), Bethune-Cookman (1-3) and Nebraska-Omaha (1-4) are the three other teams at the ARC this weekend.
- Common opponents include Kent State (BCU L 69-68; CSU L 92-63) and Northern Illinois (Omaha W 77-64).
- Chicago State is led by 12.8 points and 8.5 rebounds per game from Jeremy Robinson.
- Bethune-Cookman gets a team-high 14.8 points per game from Kevin Dukes, who has taken 37 of his 45 FGA from behind the arc.
- Nebraska-Omaha has three players averaging in double figures, paced by 11.2 ppg from John Karhoff.
- Bryce Drew is in his second season as head coach of @ValpoBasketball and is in his eighth season overall on the coaching staff.
- Drew was named #HLMBB Coach of the Year in 2011-12 in his first season as head coach.
- Drew was the first Crusader men’s basketball Coach of the Year since 2001-02, when dad Homer won the honor in the Mid-Con.
- Drew led the Crusaders to 22 wins and the @HorizonLeague regular season title in his first year at the helm.
- Prior to coaching, Drew spent seven seasons playing professionally, including six seasons in the NBA.
- Drew was a two-time Mid-Con MVP in his playing days with @ValpoBasketball, helping the team to three NCAA tournament appearances.
- Drew hit “The Shot”, a buzzer-beating 3-pointer in the first round of the 1998 NCAA tournament, to lift the Crusaders over @OleMissMBB.
- Bryce is the third member of the Drew family to serve as head coach of @ValpoBasketball.
- Father Homer was head coach from 1988-2002, and then returned to lead @ValpoBasketball from 2003-11.
- Brother Scott (current head coach of @BaylorMBB) led the Crusaders during the 2002-03 season after nine seasons as an assistant under Homer.
- A Drew has been at the helm of @ValpoBasketball for the last 24+ years. #DrewFamilyDynasty
- The Drew family has combined to lead @ValpoBasketball to 416 victories and 11 postseason appearances. #DrewFamilyDynasty
- Overall, the trio of Drews owns 846 collegiate victories over a combined 43+ seasons of head coaching. #DrewFamilyDynasty
- @ValpoBasketball boasts one of the nation’s highest-scoring staffs, as a trio of coaches combined for 4,146 points during their D-I careers.
- Head coach Bryce Drew scored 2,142 points during his four-year career with the Crusaders.
- Assistant coach Jake Diebler also suited up for four years with @ValpoBasketball, scoring 826 points.
- Assistant coach Roger Powell Jr. tallied 1,178 points during his four-year career with @IlliniHoops.
- Assistant coach Luke Gore also played collegiately at NAIA Bethel [Tenn.] College.
- Ryan Broekhoff was named the #HLMBB Player of the Year in 2011-12 after helping guide @ValpoBasketball to the regular season title.
- Broekhoff was also named an Honorable Mention All-American by the @AP.
- Broekhoff has been picked as a Preseason First Team All-@HorizonLeague member entering his senior season.
- Broekhoff was chosen as a preseason Third Team Mid Major All-American by NBC Sports College Basketball Talk (@CBTonNBC).
- Broekhoff appeared on @CBSSports lists by @jeffborzello of the nation’s top-30 under-the-radar players (#6) and top-50 wings (#43).
- Broekhoff also was picked as the nation’s #28 shooter by @goodman_CBS on his list of top-50 shooters.
- Broekhoff was selected to the Australian Boomers squad, Australia’s senior national team, in the summer of 2012.
- Broekhoff was one of 25 players called into the 2012 @aussieboomers squad to try out for the Olympic team.
- Broekhoff was on the 12-man roster for the @aussieboomers YouYi Games series against China, making his senior international debut.
- Broekhoff saw 23 minutes of action for @aussieboomers in the three-game series, scoring four points and grabbing a pair of rebounds.
- Broekhoff was one of 15 finalists for Australia’s 12-man Olympic squad.
- Broekhoff previously represented Australia in the World University Games (2011) and the @FIBA U19 World Championships (2009).
- Broekhoff scored 16 of Valpo’s 23 first-half points in the win over Northern Illinois, ending the game with 20 points and 13 rebounds.
- Broekhoff struggled shooting at Nebraska, going just 2-of-10 for eight points, but did pull down a game-high 10 rebounds.
- Broekhoff contributed 15 points and five rebounds in the overtime win at Kent State last time out.
- Broekhoff currently ranks 12th in @ValpoBasketball history in rebounds (632), 7th in blocked shots (76) and 4th in 3-pointers (176).
- Broekhoff led @ValpoBasketball, averaging 14.9 points and 8.5 rebounds per game in 2011-12.
- Broekhoff led the @HorizonLeague in rebounding and finished fourth in the league in scoring.
- Broekhoff’s total of 290 rebounds on the year is sixth-highest in a single season in program history.
- Broekhoff reached double figures in scoring in all but five games and scored at least 20 points on six occasions.
- Broekhoff tallied a team-best 12 double-doubles, all of the scoring/rebounding variety.
- Broekhoff was named MVP of the Valparaiso subregional of the @2KSportsClassic.
- Broekhoff became the 31st player in @ValpoBasketball history to score 1,000 career points, surpassing the milestone Feb. 17 at @LMULions.
Kevin Van Wijk
- Van Wijk was named a Preseason First Team All @HorizonLeague choice entering the 2012-13 season.
- Van Wijk set a career high last time out with 25 points (6-8 FG, 13-14 FT) in the OT win over Kent State, including the game-tying putback.
- Van Wijk’s 13 free throw makes against the Flashes also were a new career high.
- Van Wijk has led Valpo in three of its four games this year - 16 points vs. Georgia Southern, 20 points at Nebraska.
- Van Wijk is coming off a junior season where he was named a First Team All-League selection.
- Van Wijk ranked second on @ValpoBasketball in scoring (14.1 ppg) in 2011-12 and also averaged 5.2 rebounds per game.
- Van Wijk led all #HLMBB players with a 61.7% FG pct, good for fifth in the nation and third-best in a single season in Crusader history.
- Van Wijk scored at least 20 points in six games and posted a pair of double-doubles.
- Van Wijk was twice named @HorizonLeague Player of the Week (Jan. 16 and Nov. 21).
- Van Wijk was named to the All-Tournament Team at the Valparaiso Subregional of the @2KSportsClassic.
- Buggs opened the season with a career-high nine assists to go with six points in the Crusaders’ win over Georgia Southern.
- Buggs tallied seven more assists in Valpo’s victory over Northern Illinois.
- Buggs came up just one point shy of his career high with 15 points in the OT win at Kent State.
- Buggs currently is 10th in @ValpoBasketball history with 318 career assists.
- Buggs led the Crusaders last year with 103 assists, ranking tenth in the @HorizonLeague.
- Buggs also ranked among the top-10 of #HLMBB players in ast/turnover ratio (1.4, 7th) and steals/gm (1.2, 10th).
- Buggs hit buzzer-beating coast-to-coast layup, giving Crusaders the win at @detroittitans Jan. 6, a play which was nominated for #SCTop10.
- Kenney scored all 16 of his points in the win over Northern Illinois in the second half.
- Kenney was a perfect 6-for-6 from the floor (3-for-3 from 3-point range) over a span of 9:31 against the Huskies.
- Kenney filled up the stat sheet in the OT win at Kent State, finishing with 16 points, six rebounds and five assists.
- Kenney currently is ranked 18th in @ValpoBasketball history with 243 career assists.
- Kenney averaged 7.3 points and 4.5 rebounds per game as a junior for the Crusaders in 2011-12.
- Kenney came off the bench for his final 19 games of the season, but still finished second on the team with 27.8 minutes/gm.
- Bogan hit a pair of 3-pointers in the Crusaders’ season-opening win over Georgia Southern.
- Bogan started 32 games in his first season with @ValpoBasketball in 2011-12, averaging 7.2 points per game.
- Bogan ranked second among Crusaders with 61 3-pointers and hit from downtown at a 40.9% clip.
- Bogan’s 3-point percentage ranked seventh in the Horizon League and is tied for ninth-best in a single season in @ValpoBasketball history.
- Bogan was named @ValpoAthletics male newcomer of the year by Valpo’s Student-Athlete Advisory Committee.
- Bogan made a career-high seven 3-pointers and scored 24 points in the Crusaders’ win at Detroit Jan. 6.
- Boggs connected on back-to-back 3-pointers to give Valpo a double-digit lead for good in its win over Northern Illinois.
- Boggs scored seven points and led the Crusaders with seven rebounds in the season-opening win over Georgia Southern.
- Boggs became eligible after the end of the first semester last year for @ValpoBasketball and appeared in 24 games, starting 20.
- Boggs averaged 4.5 points and 3.2 rebounds per game for the Crusaders, who were 14-6 in his starts.
- Boggs shot better than 80% from the free throw line in his first season with Valpo, second-best on the team.
- Capobianco has missed the Crusaders’ first four regular season games due to injury.
- Capobianco led @ValpoBasketball in scoring in both exhibitions, scoring 19 points against St. Joe’s and 21 points against Robert Morris.
- Capobianco also grabbed eight rebounds in each exhibition game, leading the Crusaders in the win over Robert Morris.
- Capobianco combined to shoot 13-for-20 from inside the arc and 11-for-12 from the free throw line in the two exhibitions.
- Capobianco played his first two seasons at @IndianaMBB and sat out last season after transferring to @ValpoBasketball.
- Capobianco has two seasons of eligibility remaining with the Crusaders.
- Fernandez recorded a team-high four blocked shots in the Crusaders’ win over Northern Illinois.
- Fernandez debuted with a pair of dunks in the regular season opening win over Georgia Southern.
- Fernandez is eligible to play for @ValpoBasketball this season after sitting out the 2011-12 season and has 3 years of eligibility left.
- Fernandez made his senior international debut this past summer for Jamaica (@goteamja) at the FIBA Centrobasket tournament.
- Fernandez helped @goteamja to a 3rd place finish, its best ever at Centrobasket.
- Fernandez debuted in a win over the USVI and also played in the bronze-medal win over Panama.
- Coleman made his Crusader debut against Georgia Southern, scoring 15 points and grabbing five rebounds off the bench.
- Coleman knocked down the first five 3-point attempts of his Crusader career before missing his only try from deep at Nebraska.
- Coleman is eligible to play for @ValpoBasketball immediately after transferring from Southwestern Illinois College.
- Coleman was an All-Conference selection for SWIC last season, finishing second on the team with 10.2 ppg.
- Coleman started his collegiate career as a freshman at @HawaiiAthletics.
- Rossi connected on the first five field goals of his Valpo career before missing his only attempt from the floor at Nebraska.
- Rossi debuted with 11 minutes of play in the season opener against Georgia Southern, hitting all three of his 3-point attempts for 9 points.
- Rossi handed out six assists without committing a turnover in the first exhibition win for Valpo over St. Joe’s.
- Rossi is eligible to play for @ValpoBasketball immediately after spending his first two years at @calmensbball.
- Rossi has three seasons of eligibility remaining with the Crusaders.
|Copyright ©2013 Valparaiso University Athletics. All Rights Reserved.||www.ValpoAthletics.com|