|December 29, 2012||1st||2nd||Final|
|Stats at a Glance||VALPO||MURRAY|
|FG Percentage||.444 (24-54)||.415 (22-53)|
|3P FG Percentage||.375 (6-16)||.391 (9-23)|
|FT Percentage||.667 (12-18)||.688 (11-16)|
BUGGS - 2
DORITY - 2
COLEMAN - 2
KENNEY - 1
Valparaiso (9-4, 0-0 Horizon)
Game #14: Saturday, Dec. 29 - 2 p.m.
at Murray State (9-2, 0-0 Ohio Valley)
CFSB Center (8,600) - Murray, Ky.
Next Up in Crusader Basketball: The Valparaiso men’s basketball team plays its final game before starting Horizon League play, traveling to take on Murray State, which advanced to the third round of the 2012 NCAA Tournament, on Saturday afternoon. The game can be seen live exclusively at ESPN3.com.
Last Time Out: Valparaiso led by double figures for the last 28 minutes in cruising to a 79-51 victory over Purdue Calumet Saturday afternoon in its final game prior to Christmas. The win improves the Crusaders to a perfect 7-0 at home this season, with all seven wins coming by double figures. Four Crusaders scored at least 10 points on Saturday, led by 19 points from LaVonte Dority.
Following the Crusaders: Radio - Valpo Sports Radio Network - WAKE (1500 AM, Valparaiso), WEFM (95.9 FM, Michigan City) - Todd Ickow (PxP) and Travis Lucian (Color) on the call
Video - ESPN3.com - Mike Gleason (PxP) and Darrin Horn (Color) on the call
Links for the live audio and video, as well as live stats, will be available through www.valpoathletics.com.
Head Coach Bryce Drew: Bryce Drew returns for his second season at the helm of the Valparaiso men’s basketball program in 2012-2013 after leading the Crusaders to the Horizon League regular season title in his first year as head coach. Drew was named the Horizon League Coach of the Year after guiding Valpo to a 22-win campaign, including a 14-4 mark within the league to capture the title by two games. Drew ascended to the head coaching position on May 17, 2011 after spending six seasons as an assistant and associate head coach with the Crusaders.
Series Notes: This marks just the second all-time meeting on the hardwood between Valpo and Murray State. The Racers won the only previous contest, downing the Crusaders 78-58 on Nov. 27, 1999 in the semifinal round of the Hoop and Quill Classic.
...and the @HorizonLeague
- @ValpoBasketball has been picked to win the @HorizonLeague regular season title.
- The Crusaders received 40 of the 44 first-place votes in the #HLMBB preseason poll.
- This marks the first season since 2002-03 (Mid-Con) that @ValpoBasketball has been preseason league favorites.
- The Crusaders were the only team to place two players on the #HLMBB preseason First Team All-League as well.
- @ValpoBasketball has also been tabbed the preseason @HorizonLeague favorite by @CBSSports and @AthlonSports, among others.
- The Crusaders were ranked seventh in the preseason Mid-Major Power Rankings by NBC Sports College Basketball Talk (@CBTonNBC).
- @ValpoBasketball is currently ranked 18th in the Mid-Major Top 25 poll, voted on by mid-major coaches and produced by @CollegeInsider.
- @ValpoBasketball earned 3 points in the preseason @AP_Top25 poll.
- The Crusaders had not received votes in a national poll since a 4-week stretch near the end of the 2010-11 season in the coaches poll.
...looking back at last year
- @ValpoBasketball claimed its first @HorizonLeague regular season title in 2011-12, winning the crown by two games.
- The Crusaders earned the right to host the #HLMBB postseason tournament by winning the regular season and advanced to the championship game.
- @ValpoBasketball played at Miami in the first round of the postseason NIT, the Crusaders’ 11th postseason trip in the last 17 years.
- The Crusaders won 22 games overall in 2011-12, their 12th 20-win season in the last 19 years.
- @ValpoBasketball boasted the #HLMBB Coach of the Year (Drew), Player of the Year (Broekhoff) and a second First Team selection (Van Wijk).
- The @HorizonLeague slate begins for @ValpoBasketball next time out, as the Crusaders host Loyola on Wednesday, Jan. 2.
- Valpo then hosts Cleveland State Friday evening, Jan. 4 in a game broadcast live nationwide on ESPNU.
Change in the Lineup
- Head coach Bryce Drew changed the starting lineup for @ValpoBasketball for the first time this season on Dec. 20 vs. IUPUI.
- LaVonte Dority and Matt Kenney started for the Crusaders in place of Will Bogan and Erik Buggs.
- It marked Dority’s first start in a Valpo uniform and snapped a streak of 70 straight starts for Buggs.
- Then, vs. Purdue Calumet, Bobby Capobianco earned his first start as a Crusader as Ryan Broekhoff did not play.
- It snapped a streak of 50 straight starts for Broekhoff and was his first career DNP (113 games).
Winning All Five Categories
- Valpo bested IUPUI Dec. 20 by at least 10 points in all 5 categories (in the paint, fast break, off turnovers, second chance, and bench).
- It was the first time this year the Crusaders have won all five categories, something they did three times last season.
- @ValpoBasketball set season highs vs. IUPUI for points in the paint (52), second chance points (23) and fast break points (18).
- The Crusaders’ 52 points in the paint are the most they’ve had in a single Division I game since at least 2005.
Handle the Basketball
- Valpo committed a season-low eight turnovers in the Dec. 20 victory over IUPUI.
- The eight turnovers were the Crusaders’ fewest in a game since tallying just seven in a win over Youngstown St. on Jan. 13, 2012.
- The Crusaders committed 18 turnovers last time out vs. Purdue Calumet, and have turned the ball over 16+ times in 6 of their last 8 games.
- Valpo tallied a season-best 16 steals vs. Purdue Calumet, led by four from Jordan Coleman.
- The 16 steals were just three shy of a 25-year-old school record for steals in a single game.
- It marked the second time this season that @ValpoBasketball has registered double-figure steals in a game (14 vs. Georgia Southern).
Hitting the Boards
- Valpo enjoyed a 41-21 advantage on the boards against IUPUI, a season-best +20 rebounding margin.
- The Crusaders bested Missouri State on the glass, 37-19, and followed with a 38-32 edge at Oakland in their previous two games.
- The +20 advantage on the glass was the highest for @ValpoBasketball since a 47-24 edge in a win vs. Youngstown St. on Jan. 7, 2011.
- Valpo currently leads the Horizon League with a +5.8 rebounding margin, including four games with double-figure advantages.
- Kevin Van Wijk put back a missed free throw with 1.3 seconds left to send the Crusaders into overtime with Kent State on Nov. 18.
- Erik Buggs made his first free throw with 4.7 seconds left to cut the deficit to two points before Van Wijk’s putback.
- @ValpoBasketball had just a 7.5% chance to win following 2 KSU FTs with 7.2 seconds left, according to @kenpomeroy.
- It was the first buzzer-beater for @ValpoBasketball since Buggs’ coast-to-coast layup to win at Detroit last season.
- The last four buzzer-beaters to win or send games to overtime for @ValpoBasketball have all come at the basket, dating back to 2007.
- The Crusaders placed five players in double figures in the win over IUPUI, the first time since doing so at Butler on Dec. 3, 2011.
- Following the win over Purdue Calumet, Valpo is a perfect 7-0 at home this season, with all seven wins coming by double figures.
- Valpo allowed 50 points or less in back-to-back games for the first time since Jan. 2003 (NIU 46, Nebraska 50).
- The 50 points scored by Nebraska was the fewest @ValpoBasketball has given up in a loss since Jan. 16, 1984 vs. Western Illinois (41-40).
- Valpo defeated Georgia Southern by 31 points in its opener, its largest season-opening win over a D-I school since moving to D-I.
- With the win over Kent State, Valpo has now won three straight OT games and is 6-2 in extra time since the start of the 2010-2011 season.
- The Crusaders went 34-for-41 from the free throw line in the win over Kent State.
- Valpo had not hit 34 free throws in a single game since a Feb. 8, 1997 win over Northeastern Illinois.
- Valpo hit 13-of-24 from behind the 3-point line in each of its first two games of the season.
- Valpo hit over 50% from behind the arc in consecutive games for the first time since Jan. 2007 (11-20 vs. IUPUI, 12-16 at WIU).
- The Crusaders won the Valparaiso Division of the Joe Cipriano Nebraska Classic with their victories Thanksgiving weekend over CSU and B-CU.
- @ValpoBasketball has now claimed three in-season tournament titles over the last three seasons.
- @ValpoBasketball has ranked among the top-5 in the nation in 2-point pct. each of the last 2 years, both years hitting above 55%.
- The Crusaders have ranked in the top-5 in the nation in 2-point pct. despite not having a regular taller than 6'8" either season.
- Murray State enters Saturday’s game at 9-2 on the season and is a perfect 4-0 at home this year.
- The Racers’ only losses have come in a neutral-site contest vs. Colorado and last time out at Dayton.
- Murray State advanced to the third round of the 2012 NCAA Tournament by defeating Colorado State before falling to Marquette.
- The Racers are led by preseason All-American Isaiah Canaan, who ranks tenth in the nation, averaging 20.9 points per game.
- Ed Daniel adds 16.2 points and 10.9 rebounds per game.
- Bryce Drew is in his second season as head coach of @ValpoBasketball and is in his eighth season overall on the coaching staff.
- Drew was named #HLMBB Coach of the Year in 2011-12 in his first season as head coach.
- Drew was the first Crusader men’s basketball Coach of the Year since 2001-02, when dad Homer won the honor in the Mid-Con.
- Drew led the Crusaders to 22 wins and the @HorizonLeague regular season title in his first year at the helm.
- Prior to coaching, Drew spent seven seasons playing professionally, including six seasons in the NBA.
- Drew was a two-time Mid-Con MVP in his playing days with @ValpoBasketball, helping the team to three NCAA tournament appearances.
- Drew hit “The Shot”, a buzzer-beating 3-pointer in the first round of the 1998 NCAA tournament, to lift the Crusaders over @OleMissMBB.
- “The Shot” was just named one of the top-35 All-Time Madness Moments by the NCAA as part of the celebration of 75 Years of March Madness.
- Bryce is the third member of the Drew family to serve as head coach of @ValpoBasketball.
- Father Homer was head coach from 1988-2002, and then returned to lead Valpo from 2003-11.
- Brother Scott (current head coach of @BaylorMBB) led the Crusaders during the 2002-03 season after nine seasons as an assistant under Homer.
- A Drew has been at the helm of the Crusaders for the last 24+ years. #DrewFamilyDynasty
- The Drew family has combined to lead @ValpoBasketball to 422 victories and 11 postseason appearances. #DrewFamilyDynasty
- Overall, the trio of Drews owns 856 collegiate victories over a combined 43+ seasons of head coaching. #DrewFamilyDynasty
- @ValpoBasketball boasts one of the nation’s highest-scoring staffs, as a trio of coaches combined for 4,146 points during their D-I careers.
- Head coach Bryce Drew scored 2,142 points during his four-year career with the Crusaders.
- Assistant coach Jake Diebler also suited up for four years with @ValpoBasketball, scoring 826 points.
- Assistant coach Roger Powell Jr. tallied 1,178 points during his four-year career with @IlliniHoops.
- Assistant coach Luke Gore also played collegiately at NAIA Bethel [Tenn.] College.
- Ryan Broekhoff was named the #HLMBB Player of the Year in 2011-12 after helping guide @ValpoBasketball to the regular season title.
- Broekhoff was also named an Honorable Mention All-American by the @AP.
- Broekhoff has been picked as a Preseason First Team All-@HorizonLeague member entering his senior season.
- Broekhoff was chosen as a preseason Third Team Mid Major All-American by NBC Sports College Basketball Talk (@CBTonNBC).
- Broekhoff appeared on @CBSSports lists by @jeffborzello of the nation’s top-30 under-the-radar players (#6) and top-50 wings (#43).
- Broekhoff also was picked as the nation’s #28 shooter by @goodman_CBS on his list of top-50 shooters.
- Broekhoff was selected to the Australian Boomers squad, Australia’s senior national team, in the summer of 2012.
- Broekhoff was one of 25 players called into the 2012 @aussieboomers squad to try out for the Olympic team.
- Broekhoff was on the 12-man roster for the @aussieboomers YouYi Games series against China, making his senior international debut.
- Broekhoff saw 23 minutes of action for @aussieboomers in the three-game series, scoring four points and grabbing a pair of rebounds.
- Broekhoff was one of 15 finalists for Australia’s 12-man Olympic squad.
- Broekhoff previously represented Australia in the World University Games (2011) and the @FIBA U19 World Championships (2009).
- Broekhoff has twice been named @HorizonLeague Player of the Week this season.
- Broekhoff DNP for the first time in his career Dec. 22 vs. Purdue Calumet, snapping streaks of 113 straight games and 50 straight starts.
- Broekhoff led the Crusaders against IUPUI Dec. 20 with 17 points and nine rebounds.
- Broekhoff picked up his second double-double of the year at Oakland, posting 10 points and 10 rebounds.
- Broekhoff led all players in both scoring and rebounding in both games the first week of Dec. (21/9 vs. IPFW; 24/7 at #18/20 New Mexico).
- Broekhoff matched his career high in the first half alone in the win over Bethune-Cookman, scoring 26 points (7-8 FG, 3-3 3PT, 9-9 FT).
- Broekhoff ended the win over the Wildcats with 30 points and seven rebounds.
- Broekhoff scored 16 of Valpo’s 23 first-half points in the win over Northern Illinois, ending the game with 20 points and 13 rebounds.
- Broekhoff leads the Horizon League in rebounding (7.8 rpg) and free throw percentage (.938) and ranks 3rd in scoring (16.6 ppg).
- Broekhoff moved into @ValpoBasketball’s all-time top-20 in career points at Saint Louis and now ranks 16th with 1,273 career points.
- Broekhoff also ranks 8th in rebounds (695), 7th in blocks (80), 3rd in 3-pointers (199), 10th in 3PT% (.406) and 7th in FT% (.809).
- Broekhoff led @ValpoBasketball, averaging 14.9 points and 8.5 rebounds per game in 2011-12.
- Broekhoff led the @HorizonLeague in rebounding and finished fourth in the league in scoring.
- Broekhoff’s total of 290 rebounds on the year was sixth-highest in a single season in program history.
- Broekhoff became the 31st player in @ValpoBasketball history to score 1,000 career points, surpassing the milestone Feb. 17 at @LMULions.
Kevin Van Wijk
- Van Wijk was named a Preseason First Team All @HorizonLeague choice entering the 2012-13 season.
- Van Wijk scored 25 points in just 36 minutes of action in last week’s wins over IUPUI and Purdue Calumet.
- Van Wijk has scored in double figures in 10 of Valpo’s 13 games so far this year.
- Van Wijk currently leads the Horizon League with a .587 field goal percentage.
- Van Wijk set a career high with 25 points (6-8 FG, 13-14 FT) in the OT win over Kent State, including the game-tying putback.
- Van Wijk’s 13 free throw makes against the Flashes also were a new career high.
- Van Wijk combined for 31 points and 16 rebounds in the Crusaders’ pair of victories Thanksgiving weekend.
- Van Wijk has led Valpo in four games this year - 10 points at Saint Louis, 16 points vs. Georgia Southern, 20 points at Nebraska.
- Van Wijk is coming off a junior season where he was named a First Team All-League selection.
- Van Wijk ranked second on @ValpoBasketball in scoring (14.1 ppg) in 2011-12 and also averaged 5.2 rebounds per game.
- Van Wijk led all #HLMBB players with a 61.7% FG pct, good for fifth in the nation and third-best in a single season in Crusader history.
- Van Wijk was twice named @HorizonLeague Player of the Week (Jan. 16 and Nov. 21).
- Buggs came off the bench in the win over IUPUI Dec. 20, snapping a streak of 70 consecutive starts.
- Buggs scored eight points and did not commit a turnover in 20 minutes of action against the Jaguars.
- Buggs opened the season with a career-high nine assists to go with six points in the Crusaders’ win over Georgia Southern.
- Buggs tallied seven more assists in Valpo’s win over Northern Illinois, and added six assists vs. Chicago State and at #18/20 New Mexico.
- Buggs came up just one point shy of his career high with 15 points in the OT win at Kent State.
- Buggs currently is ninth in @ValpoBasketball history with 350 career assists.
- Buggs led the Crusaders last year with 103 assists, ranking tenth in the @HorizonLeague.
- Buggs also ranked among the top-10 of #HLMBB players in ast/turnover ratio (1.4, 7th) and steals/gm (1.2, 10th).
- Kenney made his first start in nearly a year Dec. 20 against IUPUI.
- Kenney responded with 15 points and six assists in the victory over the Jaguars, one off his season high in both categories.
- Kenney scored all 16 of his points in the win over Northern Illinois in the second half.
- Kenney was a perfect 6-for-6 from the floor (3-for-3 from 3-point range) over a span of 9:31 against the Huskies.
- Kenney filled up the stat sheet in the OT win at Kent State, finishing with 16 points, six rebounds and five assists.
- Kenney matched his career high with seven assists while not committing a turnover in the Crusaders’ win vs. Chicago State.
- Kenney currently is ranked 17th in @ValpoBasketball history with 270 career assists.
- Kenney averaged 7.3 points and 4.5 rebounds per game as a junior for the Crusaders in 2011-12.
- Kenney came off the bench for his final 19 games of the season, but still finished second on the team with 27.8 minutes/gm.
- Bogan scored a season-high 14 points, hitting four 3-pointers, in Valpo’s win over Purdue Calumet last time out.
- Bogan connected on three 3-pointers for 11 points in Valpo’s win over Bethune-Cookman to cap the Nebraska Classic.
- Bogan hit a pair of first-half 3-pointers Dec. 8 at #18/20 New Mexico.
- Bogan started 32 games in his first season with @ValpoBasketball in 2011-12, averaging 7.2 points per game.
- Bogan ranked second among Crusaders with 61 3-pointers and hit from downtown at a 40.9% clip.
- Bogan’s 3-point percentage ranked seventh in the Horizon League and is tied for ninth-best in a single season in @ValpoBasketball history.
- Bogan was named @ValpoAthletics male newcomer of the year by Valpo’s Student-Athlete Advisory Committee.
- Bogan made a career-high seven 3-pointers and scored 24 points in the Crusaders’ win at Detroit Jan. 6, 2012.
- Boggs scored a season-best 12 points in both of Valpo’s wins last week over IUPUI and Purdue Calumet.
- Boggs was a perfect 5-of-5 from the floor for 11 points at Oakland.
- Boggs posted nine points and tied a career high with eight rebounds in the Crusaders’ win over Chicago State.
- Boggs connected on back-to-back 3-pointers to give Valpo a double-digit lead for good in its win over Northern Illinois.
- Boggs became eligible after the end of the first semester last year for @ValpoBasketball and appeared in 24 games, starting 20.
- Boggs averaged 4.5 points and 3.2 rebounds per game for the Crusaders, who were 14-6 in his starts.
- Boggs shot better than 80% from the free throw line in his first season with Valpo, second-best on the team.
- Capobianco debuted for Valpo against Chicago State after missing the Crusaders’ first four regular season games due to injury.
- Capobianco doubled up in his debut, posting 10 points and grabbing 11 rebounds, including six offensive, against the Cougars.
- Capobianco’s double-double was the first in a Valpo debut since Mohamed Kone vs. IPFW on Nov. 23, 2005 (15 pts, 11 reb).
- Capobianco made his first Crusader start last time out vs. Purdue Calumet.
- Capobianco scored 10 points and grabbed seven rebounds, including five offensive, in the win Dec. 20 against IUPUI.
- Capobianco led @ValpoBasketball in scoring in both exhibitions, scoring 19 points against St. Joe’s and 21 points against Robert Morris.
- Capobianco combined to shoot 13-for-20 from inside the arc and 11-for-12 from the free throw line in the two exhibitions.
- Capobianco played his first two seasons at @IndianaMBB and sat out last season after transferring to @ValpoBasketball.
- Capobianco has two seasons of eligibility remaining with the Crusaders.
- Fernandez pulled down a season-high six rebounds last time out in the win verus Purdue Calumet.
- Fernandez recorded a team-high four blocked shots in the Crusaders’ win over Northern Illinois.
- Fernandez debuted with a pair of dunks in the regular season opening win over Georgia Southern.
- Fernandez is eligible to play for @ValpoBasketball this season after sitting out the 2011-12 season and has 3 years of eligibility left.
- Fernandez made his senior international debut this past summer for Jamaica (@goteamja) at the FIBA Centrobasket tournament.
- Fernandez helped @goteamja to a 3rd place finish, its best ever at Centrobasket.
- Fernandez debuted in a win over the USVI and also played in the bronze-medal win over Panama.
- Coleman led the Crusaders with four steals in their win last time out against Purdue Calumet.
- Coleman made his Crusader debut against Georgia Southern, scoring 15 points and grabbing five rebounds off the bench.
- Coleman knocked down the first five 3-point attempts of his Crusader career before missing his only try from deep at Nebraska.
- Coleman scored eight points, all in the first half, in the Crusaders’ win over Chicago State.
- Coleman had three dunks against the Cougars and leads the Crusaders with six dunks on the season.
- Coleman is eligible to play for @ValpoBasketball immediately after transferring from Southwestern Illinois College.
- Coleman was an All-Conference selection for SWIC last season, finishing second on the team with 10.2 ppg.
- Coleman started his collegiate career as a freshman at @HawaiiAthletics.
- Rossi connected on the first five field goals of his Valpo career before missing his only attempt from the floor at Nebraska.
- Rossi debuted with 11 minutes of play in the season opener against Georgia Southern, hitting all three of his 3-point attempts for 9 points.
- Rossi scored five points and grabbed two rebounds in 14 minutes last time out against Purdue Calumet.
- Rossi handed out six assists without committing a turnover in the first exhibition win for Valpo over St. Joe’s.
- Rossi is eligible to play for @ValpoBasketball immediately after spending his first two years at @calmensbball.
- Rossi has three seasons of eligibility remaining with the Crusaders.
- Dority debuted with a game-high 20 points in Valpo’s win at Missouri State.
- Dority became the first Crusader to debut with a 20+ point effort since Brandon Wood dropped 25 at Ball State in Nov. of 2009.
- Dority again led Valpo in the loss at Oakland, scoring 14 points.
- Dority posted seven points and four assists in his first career Crusader start, a win over IUPUI.
- Dority led the Crusaders for the third time in his four games with a 19-point effort versus Purdue Calumet.
- Dority transferred to Valpo from South Florida at the semester break last year.
- Dority appeared in 35 games over his one and a half seasons with the Bulls.
- Dority has two seasons of eligibility remaining with the Crusaders.