Caleb VanArragon (Blaine, Minn. / Blaine) added another Top-10 finish to his season resume this week at the Orlando Invitational hosted by George Mason at Mission Inn in Howey-In-The-Hills, Fla. The freshman led the way for the Valparaiso University men’s golf team, which finished with a team score 942 over 54 holes for the tournament.
How It Happened
- VanArragon closed the week with a 76 in the third and final round on Tuesday, bringing his 54-hole sum to 226 (+10). That helped him nail down a Top-10 result as he tied for sixth.
- The team’s best round on Tuesday came courtesy of sophomore Garrett Willis (Fort Wayne, Ind. / Homestead), who stroked a 74. His 234 (+18) put him at t-25 for the tournament.
- All three other Valpo golfers turned in 81s on Tuesday.
- As a team, Valpo placed ninth of 11, finishing ahead of Purdue Fort Wayne, Bethune-Cookman and Creighton and one stroke behind IUPUI.
Inside the Rounds
- Valpo produced 21 birdies, 10th in the 11-team field. The team’s birdie production did improve in Tuesday’s final round as the squad had 11 birdies after combining for 10 over the first two rounds.
- VanArragon had seven birdies for the tournament to lead his team.
- This marks the fourth time this year VanArragon has turned in a Top-10 tournament finish.
Valpo will have a quick tournament for a tournament that begins on Friday at GCU Golf Course in Phoenix. A link to live scoring via GolfStat is available on ValpoAthletics.com.