Valpo Swimming opened its 2019-2010 season on Saturday afternoon at Eastern Illinois, the teams’ first meet under the guidance of head coach Maggie Kroemer. Five different Valpo swimmers combined for eight first-place finishes in the season-opening meet.
How It Happened
- The Valpo women had a trio of swimmers combine for five first-place finishes.
- Seniors Erica Martins (Hartland, Wis./Lake County Lutheran) and Paige Wright (Surprise, Ariz./Paradise Honors) each posted a pair of first-place finishes. Martins claimed top honors in the 50 free (25.59) and the 100 fly (1:00.30), while Wright touched the wall first in the 200 free (1:58.28) and the 500 free (5:17.95).
- Meanwhile, freshman Mikayla DePover (Rock Island, Ill./Rock Island) earned an event win as well with a time of 2:18.22 in the 200 IM. The rookie also moved into Valpo’s all-time top-10 in her first career meet as she posted a time of 1:08.77 in the 100 breast, eighth-fastest in program history.
- On the men’s side, freshman Brian Daniels (Brookfield, Wis./Brookfield East) posted a pair of event wins in his first meet at Valpo. Daniels registered a time of 4:52.50 in the 500 free and 10:05.91 in the 1000 free, the latter ranking sixth in program history in the event.
- Sophomore Billy Bennett (Libertyville, Ill./Libertyville) picked up a victory as well on Saturday, winning the 100 breast in 1:00.91.
- EIU won the team scoring on both sides, as the Valpo women fell 123-86 and the men fell 144.5-64.5.
Valpo returns to action next Friday, October 11, at Southern Illinois in a tri-meet with Bellarmine.