The Valparaiso University men’s tennis team had great success in first-round doubles matches while also boasting a pair of singles victories on the first day of the Purdue Fall Invitational on Friday in West Lafayette. Every Valpo player who participated picked up a doubles win on the tournament’s first day.
How It Happened
- Kweisi Kenyatte (Detroit, Mich. / East English Village Preparatory) garnered a victory by default over Illinois State’s Igor Kolaric to advance to the quarterfinals of Flight A singles.
- Brian Pecyna (Glen Ellyn, Ill. / Homeschooled) picked up a 6-2, 6-1 win over Eddie Griesidieck of Marquette to move on to the quarterfinals of Flight D.
- Kenyatte and Brandon Ancona (Belvidere, Ill. / Rockford Christian) teamed up to win their first doubles match of the day, edging Guzina and Guzina of Ball State 7-6 (7-4). They followed that with a 6-3 win over Spanjaard/Casati of DePaul to advance to the semifinals.
- Daniel Langston (Ponca City, Okla. / Ponca City) and Gabriel Carvajal (Pembroke Pines, Fla. / Broward Virtual School [Florida Atlantic]) started the day with a 6-4 win over Quiros/Huttepain of Army before succumbing 6-4 in their quarterfinal match against Koenigsfest/Raupuk of host Purdue in Flight B.
- The pairing of Pecyna and Franklin Brozovich (Fort Gratiot, Mich. / Port Huron Northern) also won their first doubles match, beating DePaul’s Tonejc/Tonejc 6-3 before falling 6-4 to Chicago State’s Botha/Liddy.
- In Flight D doubles, Nick Marino (Northbrook, Ill. / Glenbrook North) joined a Chicago State player and earned a 6-0 win.
Singles play will begin at 7 a.m. CT on Saturday starting with Flight A.