|Stats at a Glance||NIU||VALPO|
|FG Percentage||.292 (19-65)||.521 (25-48)|
|3P FG Percentage||.222 (4-18)||.542 (13-24)|
|FT Percentage||.571 (4-7)||.667 (6-9)|
BROEKHOFF - 2
Monday, November 12, 2012
Valparaiso (1-0, 0-0 Horizon)
Game #2: Tuesday, Nov. 13 - 7 a.m.
Northern Illinois (0-1, 0-0 MAC)
Athletics-Recreation Center (5,000)
Next Up in Crusader Basketball: Valparaiso takes part in the ESPN Tip-Off Marathon for the first time as the Crusaders host Northern Illinois at 7 a.m. Tuesday morning. The tip time will be the earliest a Crusader game has ever tipped off at the ARC. There will be a pancake breakfast in Hilltop Gym starting at 6 a.m. - free for students, $5 for the general public.
Last Time Out: The Valparaiso men's basketball team led 17-2 six minutes into Friday night's season opener at the ARC against Georgia Southern, and left no doubt from there, cruising to an 85-54 victory over the Eagles.
Following the Crusaders: Radio - Valpo Sports Radio Network - WAKE (1500 AM, Valparaiso), WEFM (95.9 FM, Michigan City) - Todd Ickow (PxP) and Travis Lucian (Color) on the call
Television - ESPN - Beth Mowins (PxP) and LaPhonso Ellis (Color) on the call
Links for the audio and video (on WatchESPN.com), as well as live stats, will be available at valpoathletics.com. In addition, valpogameday.com is a one-stop shop for live stats and interactive chat on the same page.
Head Coach Bryce Drew: Bryce Drew returns for his second season at the helm of the Valparaiso men’s basketball program in 2012-2013 after leading the Crusaders to the Horizon League regular season title in his first year as head coach. Drew was named the Horizon League Coach of the Year after guiding Valpo to a 22-win campaign, including a 14-4 mark within the league to capture the title by two games. Drew ascended to the head coaching position on May 17, 2011 after spending six seasons as an assistant and associate head coach with the Crusaders.
Series Notes: Northern Illinois leads the all-time series with the Crusaders, 14-10, but Valpo has won eight of the last nine meetings. After a nine-year hiatus, the series resumed last year with a 59-48 Crusader victory in DeKalb. Ryan Broekhoff scored 19 points and Will Bogan 18 to lead Valpo in the win.
...and the @HorizonLeague
- @ValpoBasketball has been picked to win the @HorizonLeague regular season title.
- The Crusaders received 40 of the 44 first-place votes in the #HLMBB preseason poll.
- This marks the first season since 2002-03 (Mid-Con) that @ValpoBasketball has been preseason league favorites.
- The Crusaders were the only team to place two players on the #HLMBB preseason First Team All-League as well.
- @ValpoBasketball earned 3 points in the preseason @AP_Top25 poll.
- The Crusaders had not received votes in a national poll since a 4-week stretch near the end of the 2010-11 season in the coaches poll.
- It is the first appearance in the @AP_Top25 also receiving votes for @ValpoBasketball since March of 2002 (5 points).
- @ValpoBasketball has also been tabbed the preseason @HorizonLeague favorite by @CBSSports and @AthlonSports, among others.
- The Crusaders were ranked seventh in the preseason Mid-Major Power Rankings by NBC Sports College Basketball Talk (@CBTonNBC).
- @ValpoBasketball starts the season 21 st in the Mid-Major Top 25 poll, voted on by mid-major coaches and produced by @CollegeInsider.
...looking back at last year
- @ValpoBasketball claimed its first @HorizonLeague regular season title in 2011-12, winning the crown by two games.
- The Crusaders earned the right to host the #HLMBB postseason tournament by winning the regular season and advanced to the championship game.
- @ValpoBasketball played at @CanesHoops in the first round of the postseason NIT, the Crusaders’ 11th postseason trip in the last 17 years.
- The Crusaders won 22 games overall in 2011-12, their 12th 20-win season in the last 19 years.
- @ValpoBasketball boasted the #HLMBB Coach of the Year (Drew), Player of the Year (Broekhoff) and a second First Team selection (Van Wijk).
- @ValpoBasketball will kick off play in the Joe Cipriano Nebraska Classic at @Huskers on Thursday at 8 p.m. CT.
- Thursday night's Crusader game will be broadcast live on the @BigTenNetwork.
- The Crusaders will continue classic play on Sunday afternoon at 1 p.m. CT at @KSUAthletics.
...at the ARC
- Tuesday's game is the 2nd of 16 home games for @ValpoBasketball at the ARC in 2012-13. #ValpoGameday
- The Crusaders matched a program record for home victories last season, going 14-3 at the ARC.
- Over the last 18+ years, @ValpoBasketball owns a 208-48 (.812) record on its home court.
- @ValpoBasketball is hosting a game as part of the @ESPNCBB Tip-Off Marathon on Tuesday morning at 7 a.m. #WakeUpWithValpo
- This is the third game to tip off before noon for @ValpoBasketball at the ARC in the last 12 years. #WakeUpWithValpo
- The Crusaders previously tipped off at 11 a.m. on 3/1/08 (Wright State) and 1/27/01 (Oakland). #WakeUpWithValpo
- @ValpoBasketball will play in front of a national TV audience at least six times in 2012-13. #CrusadersOnTV
- Tuesday's game is the 1st national TV game of the year and is Valpo's 2nd time on ESPN from the ARC in its last 3 home games.
- @ValpoBasketball will also be on national TV on Thursday evening when it plays at Nebraska on the Big Ten Network. #CrusadersOnTV
- @ValpoBasketball defeated Georgia Southern by 31 points in its opener, its largest season-opening win over a D-I school since moving to D-I.
- The Crusaders have now won eight straight home openers by double figures dating back to 2004.
- Valpo led by as many as 42 points in the season-opening win over the Eagles. #WinningBig
- @ValpoBasketball hit 13-of-24 from behind the 3-point line in Friday's win over Georgia Southern. #SharpShooters
- The Crusaders' 13 3-pointers were their most since hitting 15 in the #HLMBB tournament vs. Detroit in March of 2011.
- Valpo hit over 50% from behind the arc for the first time since going 12-of-19 against UIC in February of 2012. #SharpShooters
- Three players made their regular season debuts for @ValpoBasketball in the win over Georgia Southern on Friday.
- Jordan Coleman hit all 4 of his 3-pointers en route to 15 points and 5 rebounds against the Eagles. #CrusaderDebutants
- Vashil Fernandez had a pair of rim-rattling dunks and also grabbed 3 rebounds in the win. #CrusaderDebutants
- Alex Rossi played the final 11 minutes of the win and hit all 3 of his 3-point attempts. #CrusaderDebutants
- @ValpoBasketball needed just 61 possessions to rack up 85 points in its season opener against Georgia Southern.
- Valpo averaged 1.39 points/possession in the win over the Eagles, the 2nd-best rate in the nation through Saturday's games #EfficientOffense
- Valpo hit 52.9% from the field, including 54.2% from 3-point range, and 85.7% from the free throw line in the win. #EfficientOffense
Connecting From Inside
- @ValpoBasketball has ranked among the top-5 in the nation in 2-point pct. each of the last 2 years, both years hitting above 55%.
- The Crusaders have ranked in the top-5 in the nation in 2-point pct. despite not having a regular taller than 6'8" either season.
- Valpo went 14-for-27 (51.9%) from inside the arc on Friday against Georgia Southern.
- The Crusaders are playing Northern Illinois for the second consecutive year after a nine-year break following the last meeting.
- @NIUHuskies opened the season on Friday, losing 77-64 at Nebraska Omaha.
- Aksel Bolin led @NIUHuskies against Omaha with 11 points on 4-of-5 shooting.
- Abdel Nader is the leading returning scorer for the Huskies, as he averaged 10.4 points per game last year.
- The Huskies went just 5-26 last season in Mark Montgomery’s first year as head coach, including just 3-13 in MAC play.
- Bryce Drew is entering his second season as head coach of @ValpoBasketball and is in his eighth season overall on the coaching staff.
- Drew was named #HLMBB Coach of the Year in 2011-12 in his first season as head coach.
- Drew was the first @ValpoBasketball Coach of the Year since 2001-02, when dad Homer won the honor in the Mid-Con.
- Drew led the Crusaders to 22 wins and the @HorizonLeague regular season title in his first year at the helm.
- Prior to coaching, Drew spent seven seasons playing professionally, including six seasons in the @NBA.
- Drew was a two-time Mid-Con MVP in his playing days with @ValpoBasketball, helping the team to three @NCAA tournament appearances.
- Drew hit “The Shot”, a buzzer-beating 3-pointer in the first round of the 1998 @NCAA tournament, to lift the Crusaders over @OleMissMBB.
- Bryce is the third member of the Drew family to serve as head coach of @ValpoBasketball.
- Father Homer was head coach from 1988-2002, and then returned to lead @ValpoBasketball from 2003-11.
- Brother Scott (current head coach of @BaylorMBB) led the Crusaders during the 2002-03 season after nine seasons as an assistant under Homer.
- A Drew has been at the helm of @ValpoBasketball for the last 24+ years. #DrewFamilyDynasty
- The Drew family has combined to lead @ValpoBasketball to 414 victories and 11 postseason appearances. #DrewFamilyDynasty
- Overall, the trio of Drews owns 841 collegiate victories over a combined 43+ seasons of head coaching. #DrewFamilyDynasty
- @ValpoBasketball boasts one of the nation’s highest-scoring staffs, as a trio of coaches combined for 4,146 points during their D-I careers.
- Head coach Bryce Drew scored 2,142 points during his four-year career with the Crusaders.
- Assistant coach Jake Diebler also suited up for four years with @ValpoBasketball, scoring 826 points.
- Assistant coach Roger Powell Jr. tallied 1,178 points during his four-year career with @IlliniHoops.
- Assistant coach Luke Gore also played collegiately at NAIA Bethel [Tenn.] College.
- Ryan Broekhoff was named the #HLMBB Player of the Year in 2011-12 after helping guide @ValpoBasketball to the regular season title.
- Broekhoff was also named an Honorable Mention All-American by the @AP.
- Broekhoff has been picked as a Preseason First Team All-@HorizonLeague member entering his senior season.
- Broekhoff was chosen as a preseason Third Team Mid Major All-American by NBC Sports College Basketball Talk (@CBTonNBC).
- Broekhoff appeared on @CBSSports lists by @jeffborzello of the nation’s top-30 under-the-radar players (#6) and top-50 wings (#43).
- Broekhoff also was picked as the nation’s #28 shooter by @goodman_CBS on his list of top-50 shooters.
- Broekhoff was selected to the Australian Boomers squad, Australia’s senior national team, in the summer of 2012.
- Broekhoff was one of 25 players called into the 2012 @aussieboomers squad to try out for the Olympic team.
- Broekhoff was on the 12-man roster for the @aussieboomers YouYi Games series against China, making his senior international debut.
- Broekhoff saw 23 minutes of action for @aussieboomers in the three-game series, scoring four points and grabbing a pair of rebounds.
- Broekhoff was one of 15 finalists for Australia’s 12-man Olympic squad.
- Broekhoff previously represented Australia in the World University Games (2011) and the @FIBA U19 World Championships (2009).
- Broekhoff opened the regular season with 14 points on 4-of-5 shooting (2-for-3 from 3-point range) against Georgia Southern.
- Broekhoff combined for 31 points in the Crusaders’ two exhibition victories.
- Broekhoff currently ranks 13th in @ValpoBasketball history in rebounds (604), 8th in blocked shots (73) and 6th in 3-pointers (171).
- Broekhoff led @ValpoBasketball, averaging 14.9 points and 8.5 rebounds per game in 2011-12.
- Broekhoff led the @HorizonLeague in rebounding and finished fourth in the league in scoring.
- Broekhoff’s total of 290 rebounds on the year is sixth-highest in a single season in @ValpoBasketball history.
- Broekhoff reached double figures in scoring in all but five games and scored at least 20 points on six occasions.
- Broekhoff tallied a team-best 12 double-doubles, all of the scoring/rebounding variety.
- Broekhoff was named MVP of the Valparaiso subregional of the @2KSportsClassic.
- Broekhoff became the 31st player in @ValpoBasketball history to score 1,000 career points, surpassing the milestone Feb. 17 at @LMULions.
Kevin Van Wijk
- Van Wijk was named a Preseason First Team All @HorizonLeague choice entering the 2012-13 season.
- Van Wijk led the Crusaders in scoring in their season opener, scoring 16 points (5-8 FG; 6-7 FT) against Georgia Southern.
- After sitting out the 1st exhbition, Van Wijk totaled 14 points and six rebounds in 15 minutes in the exhibition win over Robert Morris.
- Van Wijk is coming off a junior season where he was named a First Team All-League selection.
- Van Wijk ranked second on @ValpoBasketball in scoring (14.1 ppg) in 2011-12 and also averaged 5.2 rebounds per game.
- Van Wijk led all #HLMBB players with a 61.7% FG pct, good for fifth in the nation and third-best in a single season in Crusader history.
- Van Wijk scored at least 20 points in six games and posted a pair of double-doubles.
- Van Wijk was twice named @HorizonLeague Player of the Week (Jan. 16 and Nov. 21).
- Van Wijk was named to the All-Tournament Team at the Valparaiso Subregional of the @2KSportsClassic.
- Buggs opened the season with a career-high nine assists to go with six points in @ValpoBasketball win over Georgia Southern.
- Buggs posted five assists apiece in each of the Crusaders’ two exhibition victories.
- Buggs also registered 14 points (on 6-of-7 shooting) and four steals in the second exhibition win over Robert Morris.
- Buggs currently ranks 12th in @ValpoBasketball history with 309 career assists.
- Buggs led @ValpoBasketball last year with 103 assists, ranking tenth in the @HorizonLeague.
- Buggs also ranked among the top-10 of #HLMBB players in ast/turnover ratio (1.4, 7th) and steals/gm (1.2, 10th).
- Buggs hit buzzer-beating coast-to-coast layup, giving Crusaders the win at @detroittitans Jan. 6, a play which was nominated for #SCTop10.
- Kenney currently is ranked 18th in @ValpoBasketball history with 233 career assists.
- Kenney scored 15 points on 5-of-7 shooting in 22 minutes off the bench in the exhbition win over St. Joe’s.
- Kenney averaged 7.3 points and 4.5 rebounds per game as a junior for the Crusaders in 2011-12.
- Kenney paced @ValpoBasketball with 27 blocks last season and also finished third on the team with 35 steals.
- Kenney came off the bench for his final 19 games of the season, but still finished second on the team with 27.8 minutes/gm.
- Bogan hit a pair of 3-pointers in @ValpoBasketball season-opening win over Georgia Southern.
- Bogan started 32 games in his first season with @ValpoBasketball in 2011-12, averaging 7.2 points per game.
- Bogan ranked second among Crusaders with 61 3-pointers and hit from downtown at a 40.9% clip.
- Bogan’s 3-point percentage ranked seventh in the Horizon League and is tied for ninth-best in a single season in @ValpoBasketball history.
- Bogan was named @ValpoAthletics male newcomer of the year by Valpo’s Student-Athlete Advisory Committee.
- Bogan made a career-high seven 3-pointers and scored 24 points in the Crusaders’ win at @detroittitans Jan. 6.
- Boggs scored 7 points and led @ValpoBasketball with seven rebounds in the season-opening win over Georgia Southern.
- Boggs hit three 3-pointers en route to 12 points and five rebounds in just 17 minutes in exhibition win over St. Joe’s.
- Boggs became eligible after the end of the first semester last year for @ValpoBasketball and appeared in 24 games, starting 20.
- Boggs averaged 4.5 points and 3.2 rebounds per game for the Crusaders, who were 14-6 in his starts.
- Boggs shot better than 80% from the free throw line in his first season with @ValpoBasketball, second-best on the team.
- Capobianco missed the @ValpoBasketball opener due to injury.
- Capobianco led @ValpoBasketball in scoring in both exhibitions, scoring 19 points against St. Joe’s and 21 points against Robert Morris.
- Capobianco also grabbed eight rebounds in each exhibition game, leading the Crusaders in the win over Robert Morris.
- Capobianco combined to shoot 13-for-20 from inside the arc and 11-for-12 from the free throw line in the two exhibitions.
- Capobianco played his first two seasons at @IndianaMBB and sat out last season after transferring to @ValpoBasketball.
- Capobianco has two seasons of eligibility remaining with the Crusaders.
- Fernandez debuted with a pair of dunks in the regular season opening win over Georgia Southern.
- Fernandez scored eight points and led @ValpoBasketball with ten rebounds in the exhibition win over St. Joe’s.
- Fernandez posted seven points, six rebounds and three blocked shots in the Crusaders’ exhibition win against Robert Morris.
- Fernandez is eligible to play for @ValpoBasketball this season after sitting out the 2011-12 season and has 3 years of eligibility left.
- Fernandez made his senior international debut this past summer for Jamaica (@goteamja) at the FIBA Centrobasket tournament.
- Fernandez helped @goteamja to a 3rd place finish, its best ever at Centrobasket.
- Fernandez debuted in a win over the USVI and also played in the bronze-medal win over Panama.
- Coleman made his Crusader debut against Georgia Southern, scoring 15 points and grabbing five rebounds off the bench.
- Coleman knocked down all four of his 3-point attempts against the Eagles.
- Coleman is eligible to play for @ValpoBasketball immediately after transferring from Southwestern Illinois College.
- Coleman was an All-Conference selection for SWIC last season, finishing second on the team with 10.2 ppg.
- Coleman started his collegiate career as a freshman at @HawaiiAthletics.
- Rossi debuted with 11 minutes of play in the season opener against Georgia Southern, hitting all three of his 3-point attempts for 9 points.
- Rossi handed out six assists without committing a turnover in the first exhibition win for @ValpoBasketball over St. Joe’s.
- Rossi is eligible to play for @ValpoBasketball immediately after spending his first two years at @calmensbball.
- Rossi has three seasons of eligibility remaining with the Crusaders.
|Copyright ©2014 Valparaiso University Athletics. All Rights Reserved.||www.ValpoAthletics.com|