|December 01, 2013||1st||2nd||1OT||Final|
|Stats at a Glance||MONTST||VALPO|
|FG Percentage||.423 (33-78)||.474 (27-57)|
|3P FG Percentage||.385 (10-26)||.250 (3-12)|
|FT Percentage||.667 (20-30)||.737 (28-38)|
WIEDEMANN - 3
HORTON - 2
Valparaiso (0-6, 0-0 Horizon)
vs. Montana State (3-2, 0-0 Big Sky)
Game #7 - Sunday, December 1 - 12:00 p.m.
U.S. Century Bank Arena (5,000) - Miami, Fla.
Next Up in Crusader Basketball: The Crusaders will face Montana State in the consolation finals of the Florida International University Thanksgiving Classic Sunday afternoon in Miami. The tilt will represent the end of a nine-day road trip for the Brown and Gold. The Bobcats finished the 2012-13 season with an 11-9 record in the Big Sky, with the majority of those wins via an eight-game winning streak in conference play.
Last Time Out: Valpo never led in Friday evening’s game against Florida International. The Panthers were powered by senior guard Jerica Coley and her 30 points as FIU sent the Brown and Gold to the consolation bracket with a 65-47 win. Sharon Karungi paced tbe Crusader offense with 17 points and 14 rebounds. Though the junior was the only player in double digits, Lexi Miller also recorded nine points, four boards, and four steals. Valpo managed to score just three points in the final six-and-a-half minutes of play as FIU cruised to its first win of 2013-14.
Following the Crusaders: Audio - WVUR (95.1 FM, Valparaiso) - Joey Basil (play-by-play) and Renee Turpa (color).
Links for the audio, video, as well as live stats will be available at ValpoAthletics.com. In addition, ValpoGameday.com is a one-stop shop for live video, stats and social media interaction, all on the same page.
Head Coach Tracey Dorow: Tracey Dorow (11-25) is in her second season at the helm of the Valparaiso women’s basketball program in 2013-14. In her first season, Dorow led the Crusaders to eleven victories overall, including five in Horizon League play. Dorow arrived in Valparaiso after 14 seasons at Ferris State. She compiled a 232-163 record while with the Bulldogs. Furthermore, Ferris State posted the #1 grade point average in all of Division II for the 1999-2000 women’s basketball season as well as the #2 ranking in 2002-2003.
Series Notes: Montana State won the only contest between the two teams two years ago in the Omni Hotels Classic in Boulder, Colorado. Injured point guard Jessica Carr is the only current Crusader that appeared in the tilt that went the Bobcats’ way 71-55.
- The Bobcats traveled 2,635 miles from Bozeman, Montana to Miami, Florida.
- Had Montana State traveled by bus, the one-way trip would’ve taken the team 41 hours.
- Former NBA superstar John Stockton’s daughter, Lindsay, is a guard for the Bobcats.
- After nine days away from campus, Valparaiso will return to Northwest Indiana after Sunday afternoon’s game.
- The FIU Thanksgiving Classic concludes Sunday after the championship game between Villanova (6-0) and Florida International (1-4).
...looking back at last year
- @ValpoWBB.wrapped up 2012-13 with nine wins at the Athletics-Recreation Center.
- @ValpoWBB defeated Milwaukee and IPFW for their two road wins.
- @ValpoWBB boasted Second Team All-Horizon League player Tabitha Gerardot. Gerardot aveaged 15.5 points/game and 9.2 rebounds per game.
- Four @msuwbb players entered Friday evening’s game averaging double-digit points.
- Five @msuwbb players have more assists than turnovers.
- In 79 minutes of play, Emily Allen has yet to commit a turnover.
- @msuwbb has forced 89 turnovers through five games.
- Four @msuwbb players are shooting 40% or better from the floor.
- Kalli Durham is averaging a team-high 11.2 points/game.
- Durham and Ashley Brumwell are a combined 30-for-33 (90.9%) from the free-throw line.
- @msuwbb has made just 13 three-pointers so far in 2013-14.
- @msuwbb has outscored opponents 189-152 in the second half.
- @msuwbb has swiped 38 steals in five games.
- Tricia Binford is in her ninth season as head coach of @msuwbb.
- With 123 victories, Binford is the winningest coach in @msuwbb history.
- Binford was the 31st overall pick in the 1998 WNBA draft.
- She played for the Utah Starzz from 1998-99, and the Cleveland Rockers from 1999-2002.
- Prior to her professional days, Binford played collegiately at Boise State, where she was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2001.
- Is the Crusaders’ leading free-throw shooter (18-for-20).
- Has made at least two field goals in all but one game in 2013-14.
- Snapped a four-game steal streak Sunday.
- Boasts an 90.0% FT percentage, which is 2nd in the Horizon League.
- Registered a career-high 17 points at Tennessee Tech on Nov. 24th, 2013.
- Scored first collegiate points at historic Cameron Indoor Stadium last November.
- Made collegiate debut on November 14th versus Purdue-Calumet.
- Tossed in 11 points versus Western Michigan in 19 minutes last December.
- Scored a career-high 18 points in Valpo’s last game vs. Tennessee Tech.
- Possesses best assists/turnover ratio of any Crusader (12:13).
- Leads team in steals with 12.
- Accumulated 15 points, four rebounds, four assists, and three steals (all career highs at the time) at Saint Louis on Nov. 10th, 2013.
- Made collegiate debut against the Indiana Hoosiers Nov, 9th, 2012.
- Made first start in Hinkle Fieldhouse versus the Butler Bulldogs.
- Scored 13 points in Valpo’s 88-62 victory over UIC on Feb. 16th, 2013.
- Third in the Horizon League in FT percentage (86.2%).
- Dished out a season-high seven assists at Tennessee Tech.
- Has been perfect from the line in four of six games this season (minimum 3 attempts).
- Scored 15 points in the season opener at Saint Louis on Nov. 10th, 2013.
- Played in all 31 games for the Crusaders last season, including 28 starts.
- Carried an 84.1 free-throw percentage.
- Scored 18 points at UIC on Jan. 19th, 2013.
- Finished second on the team last season in three-pointers (24) and assists (95).
- Second on the team in three-point field goal percentage (26.7%).
- Scored 11 points off the bench in back-to-back games versus Illinois and #6 Notre Dame.
- Averaging 8.3 points in 17 minutes/game.
- Appeared in 30 games for the Brown and Gold a season ago.
- Named Crusaders’ Most Improved Player in 2012-13.
- Scored 19 points, including 3-for-3 shooting from behind the arc, at Western Michigan on Dec. 19th.
- Looks to make it 3-for-3 on double-doubles this road trip after registering 17 points and 14 boards versus FIU.
- Tallied her second double-double at Tennessee Tech, scoring 11 points and collecting 10 rebounds.
- Recorded her first double-double at Illinois on Nov. 12th, throwing in 15 points and grabbing 12 boards.
- Leads team in rebounds (50).
- At 6’2’’, Karungi is tallest player on the Valpo roster.
- Notched a career-high 14 points on 5-of-13 shooting at Tennessee Tech Sunday.
- Leads team in blocks (6), three-pointers (9), and average minutes played (35.7).
- Snapped a season-starting 0-14 slump from behind the arc at #6 Notre Dame, nailing three treys in a nine-point game.
- Played all 40 minutes in the season opener at Saint Louis on Nov. 10th, 2013, and set career highs in blocks (4) and steals (3) while scoring six points.
- Appeared in all 31 games including four starts as a freshman for Coach Dorow.
- Made collegiate debut versus Indiana
- Scored 13 points off the bench versus Detroit on Mar. 9th, 2013.
- Valpo welcomes six new players (two freshmen, four transfers) to its team this season.
- Haylee Thompson and Annemarie Hamlet will sit out this season per NCAA transfer eligibilty rules.
- The Brown and Gold boast players from six different states and two countries.
- Liz Horton is the only true senior on this year’s squad.