The Valparaiso University bowling team earned back-to-back victories to close out the Allstate Sugar Bowl Invitational in Kenner, La. on Sunday in seventh place out of the 14 competing teams.
How It Happened
- Valpo opened bracket play, contested in the best-of-seven baker format, against #20 Prairie View A&M. After dropping the first two games, back-to-back games of 212 leveled the match for the Crusaders.
- Valpo posted a 201 game in game five, but it wasn’t enough to top Prairie View A&M’s 222, and the Crusaders would be edged by eight pins in game six as they fell, 4-2.
- Valpo fell behind Florida A&M in its next match, 2-1, but rallied back to earn a 4-2 victory as the Crusaders topped 211 in each of their final three games of the contest.
- The Crusaders clinched seventh place with a 4-2 victory over #RV Lincoln Memorial in their final match of the tournament. Valpo fell behind, 2-1, but again recorded strong efforts in games four through six, topping 204 in all three affairs to finish things out with a win.
Between the Gutters
- Valpo posted a 202.5 average over its six games in the tournament-closing win over LMU, and broke 200 in all in 11 of its 18 games on Sunday.
- Sunday was the first time the Crusaders had earned multiple victories in best-of-seven baker action in bracket play since the same tournament last season.
Valpo (5-8) continues early-season action next weekend at McKendree’s Brunswick Bearcat Open in Fairview Heights, Ill. The three-day tournament opens on Friday morning.