Four different Valparaiso University bowlers broke 200 at least once on Saturday at the Brunswick Bearcat Open in Fairview Heights, Ill., hosted by McKendree.
How It Happened
- Valpo opened Saturday’s action, contested in the traditional team format, by continuing its run of contests against the nation’s top teams. The Crusaders fell in the opener to #2 Nebraska, 1031-836.
- Valpo rebounded with a solid 919-878 victory over #RV Lincoln Memorial in its second match of the day. Freshman Jess Soskich (Arlington Heights, Ill./Buffalo Grove) led the way in the win with a 217 game, while junior Kendra Tryniski (Fulton, N.Y./Fulton) posted a 200 game as well.
- Soskich led the way for the Crusaders in their next match as well, recording a 218, but it wouldn’t be enough, as Valpo fell to #24 Youngstown State, 963-849.
- Valpo’s fifth matchup of the weekend against a top-10 squad resulted in a 954-853 loss to #10 Central Missouri despite a high game of 211 from freshman Hannah Forton (Macomb, Mich./Dakota).
- The Crusaders ended Saturday’s competition with a decisive 918-647 victory over North Central. Sophomore Becky Lohse (Chesterton, Ind./Chesterton) recorded Valpo’s top game of the day with an effort of 223, while freshman Sam Perez (Aurora, Ill./Oswego East) narrowly missed cracking 200 as well as she posted a 198.
- Valpo ended the day in 17th place out of the 23 competing teams, but was in a tight pack in the standings. The Crusaders totaled 8,843 pins over the 10 matches in the first two days of action, just 58 pins out of 13th position.
Valpo (8-14) closes out action from Fairview Heights, Ill. with bracket play on Sunday morning.