The Valparaiso University bowling team picked up a pair of victories on the second day of competition Saturday at the Warhawk Classic in Kenosha, Wis., hosted by UW-Whitewater.
How It Happened
- Valpo opened the day, contested in the traditional team format, taking on the host #11 Warhawks. Junior Kendra Tryniski (Fulton, N.Y./Fulton) paced Valpo with a 198 game in the opener, but the Crusaders fell by a 931-888 final.
- Freshman Hannah Forton (Macomb, Mich./Dakota), one weekend removed from a Tournament MVP performance, rolled a 207 in Valpo’s second match of the day, but it would not be enough as the Crusaders lost 987-834 to #16 LIU Brooklyn.
- The Crusaders picked up a win in their third match, taking down Maryville 952-867. Freshman Payton Bertermann (Grayslake, Ill./North), who was inserted into the starting lineup for the first time on Saturday prior to the third match, led Valpo with a 205 game, while Tryniski added a 201 effort in the victory.
- Valpo nearly took down #2 Nebraska in its next match, but came up just short, falling to the Cornhuskers 965-950. Tryniski posted the Crusaders’ best game of the day with a 225, while Forton broke 200 for the second time with a 213.
- The Crusaders closed the day on a winning note, defeating #14 St. Francis (Pa.), 924-908. Bertermann rolled a 210 to lead the winning effort, while Forton recorded a 198 and freshman Mirica Yancey (Aurora, Ill./Waubonsie Valley) a 190.
- Forton registered Valpo’s top average on the day, finishing with a 197.4 average over the five matches. As a team, the Crusaders closed the second day of action in 16th position.
Valpo (23-22) finishes up the Warhawk Classic on Sunday morning with three matches in bracket play.