For the second straight day, the Valparaiso University bowling team earned a trio of victories as action from the Mid-Winter Invitational in Jonesboro, Ark. continued on Saturday with traditional team matches.
How It Happened
- Valpo opened the second day of tournament action against #20 Maryville, but came away dropping a 967-942 decision despite a team-best game of 216 from freshman Mirica Yancey (Aurora, Ill./Waubonsie Valley).
- The Crusaders rebounded with a win in their second match of the day, as three of the five Valpo bowlers broke 200 in a 993-944 victory over #11 Central Missouri. Junior Kendra Tryniski (Fulton, N.Y./Fulton) led the way with a 231 for the Crusaders’ top single-game score of the day, and was backed up by a 204 from freshman Payton Bertermann (Grayslake, Ill./North) and a 201 by sophomore Becky Lohse (Chesterton, Ind./Chesterton).
- Despite struggling to score in its third match of the day, Valpo still came out with the win, defeating Lincoln (Mo.) 745-636 as freshman Hannah Forton (Macomb, Mich./Dakota) paced the team with a 185 game.
- The Crusaders made it three straight victories with a 910-739 win over Alabama A&M, as Yancey led Valpo for the second time on the day with a 209 game. Forton added a 204 as well in the win.
- Valpo came up just short in its quest for a fourth consecutive win to close out the day’s action, falling 993-959 to #5 Sam Houston State despite efforts of 220 from Forton and 201 by Lohse. The 220 game from Forton gave her a team-best 194.8 average over the day’s five matches.
Valpo (30-28) finished the day in 13th place out of the 20 competing teams in the pinfall standings and will open bracket play Sunday morning against Jackson State. The Crusaders will compete in three best-of-seven baker matches in bracket action on the tournament’s final day.