The #25 Valparaiso University bowling team continued hosting of the Crusader Classic at Lakewood Bowl in Richton Park, Ill. on Saturday, recording a trio of victories in traditional team matches.
How It Happened
- Saturday’s action was contested in the traditional team format, but the tournament format was altered due to potential weather/travel issues. Rather than Saturday’s matches setting up standings for bracket play on Sunday to determine the tournament’s final results, each day is now being contested as a separate, one-day event.
- Valpo opened the day against #RV Youngstown State, falling to the Penguins, 925-879. Freshman Hannah Forton (Macomb, Mich./Dakota) paced the Crusaders with a 190 game.
- The Crusaders bounced back with a 938-864 victory over #RV Monmouth in their next match, led by efforts of 212 from sophomore Becky Lohse (Chesterton, Ind./Chesterton) and 203 by Forton.
- Freshman Kayla Rossi (Gurnee, Ill./Warren Township) led Valpo in its next outing with a 181 game as it defeated Elmhurst, 834-795.
- A 199 game from junior Kendra Tryniski (Fulton, N.Y./Fulton) paced the Crusaders in an 837-746 victory over Lincoln (Mo.).
- Tryniski rolled Valpo’s top game of the day with a 227, followed closely by a 225 game from Lohse, in the day’s finale, but it wouldn’t be enough, as the Crusaders fell to #1 Nebraska, 1034-930.
- With 4,418 pins, Valpo finished in sixth place out of the tournament’s 13 teams in Saturday’s action, just four pins out of fifth position.
- Tryniski finished the day with the Crusaders’ top average, posting a 187.6 mark over the five matches.
Valpo (39-32) closes out hosting of the Crusader Classic on Sunday morning beginning at 8 a.m. With the format change, the day will consist of three five-game baker matches.