The Valpo bowling team improved to 9-0 through two days of action at the Crusader Classic with five victories on Saturday, capped by the team’s best effort in a traditional team match in nearly four years.
How It Happened
- Valpo opened the day, contested in the traditional team format, against Spalding and came home with an 820-723 win, led by a 213 game from freshman Alexis Roof (Flint, Mich./Kearsley).
- The Brown and Gold then took down North Central 886-811, as junior Sam Perez (Aurora, Ill./Oswego East) paced the team with a 193 and freshman Noelle Doody (Tinley Park, Ill./Andrew) added a 185.
- A 234 game by senior Becky Lohse (Chesterton, Ind./Chesterton) helped propel Valpo to an 856-796 victory over Aurora in the third match of the day.
- Perez posted a 219 game in the fourth match slot and was backed up by a 214 from junior Hannah Forton (Macomb, Mich./Dakota) as Valpo defeated Kentucky Wesleyan, 883-796.
- It all led up to one of the best efforts in program history in the day’s finale, as Valpo routed Elmhurst, 1045-750. The 1045 pins in a traditional team match came up just nine pins shy of cracking the program’s top-10, and was the top score by a Valpo in traditional action since January of 2016.
- Individually in the final win of the day, Roof came just nine pins away from moving into the top-10 single-game efforts in program history, rolling Valpo’s best game of the day with a 258. Forton made it consecutive 200+ games to end the day as well, as she registered a 238.
- Valpo ended the day in fourth place out of the 11 competing teams, with 8,757 total pins. The Crusaders sit just 32 pins out of third.
Valpo (14-20) will open the final day of action on Sunday morning at 8:30 a.m. with a matchup of the tournament’s two unbeatens, as Valpo faces Lewis in a traditional team match. Two best-of-seven baker matches in bracket play will conclude the Crusader Classic.