For the second straight Friday, the Valpo bowling team opened a tournament with a perfect first day of competition, as the Brown and Gold posted a pair of top-20 wins in a 5-0 day to kick off the Warhawk Classic in Madison, Wis.
How It Happened
- Valpo began the tournament against host #10 UW-Whitewater and took care of business to get things started on a positive note, earning an 843-810 victory in the five-game baker format. The win was Valpo’s first over the Warhawks since March 2, 2018, snapping a five-match losing streak to Whitewater.
- Valpo followed that up with an easy win, cruising to a 955-652 victory over Dominican in its second match. The 303-pin margin of victory was Valpo’s largest in program history in a five-game baker match.
- The third match of the day brought Valpo’s second win over a top-20 opponent, as it took down #18 Maryville by a 903-834 final.
- Valpo then took down North Central, 871-786, and defeated Lewis, 962-873, to close out the perfect opening day of action.
- Through five matches, Valpo has tallied 4,534 pins, good for third place in the 12-team tournament field and just 106 pins out of second position.
Valpo (21-21) continues action in Madison on Saturday with the second day of competition, as the traditional team matches kick off at 9:25 a.m.