Junior Katherine Germann (Cincinnati, Ohio/Finneytown) recorded the sixth-best time in Valparaiso University women’s cross country history as the Valpo men’s and women’s teams competed in the Bradley Pink Classic on Friday afternoon.
How It Happened
- The weather was no issue for Germann, as she got the job done in 22:32.7. Her time allowed her to eclipse Rachael Button’s 22:39.6 performance in the 2004 NCAA Regional for sixth in program history.
- For the second straight race, sophomore Sarah Caesar (Fox River Grove, Ill./Cary-Grove) was the second Valpo runner to finish, stopping the clock at 24:24.5.
- Freshman Maranda Donahue (Delton, Mich./Delton-Kellogg) was third on the team as she completed the circuit in 25:00.5.
- In the men’s race, redshirt junior Alexander Bruno (Bloomington, Ill./University) led the pack again for Valpo, leading the team with a 25:09.8, 22nd overall.
- Finishing behind Bruno were sophomore Dominic Paoletti (Monroe, Mich./Monroe St. Mary) and redshirt junior Jack Mader (Granger, Ind./Penn). Paoletti crossed the finish in 25:41.3, good for second on the team, while Mader — making his season debut — followed seconds behind at 25:45.1.
- Freshman Ignacio Veloz-Bonilla (San Juan, P.R./American Military Academy) also finished within the Top 150, recording a 26:19.1.
Valpo will now have a two-week break from competition, giving coach Mike Straubel’s team time to prepare for its next meet, the Missouri Valley Conference Championships on Saturday, Oct. 27. This year, the MVC Championships will be at Bradley University in Peoria, Ill. with events slated to begin at 11:30 a.m. CT.