Kylie Shoemake (Schererville, Ind. / Lake Central) and Kayla Krueger (Spring Lake, Mich. / Spring Lake) had the top two performances from members of the Valparaiso University women’s golf team for the second consecutive day on Monday. Shoemake carded an 81 to pace the team with Krueger one stroke behind in the second and final round of the Saluki Invitational hosted by Southern Illinois at Hickory Ridge in Carbondale.
How It Happened
- Shoemake registered a Top 20 finish with a 161 over the two days, while Krueger finished tied for 26th at 163.
- Freshman Payton Hodson (Middleton, Wis. / Middleton) cut three strokes off her opening round score to turn in a solid round of 83 on Tuesday. She finished the event at 169, tied for 43rd.
- Valpo finished eighth in the team scoring, three strokes behind seventh place and nine strokes ahead of in-state foe Purdue Fort Wayne for eighth. Valpo finished with a 36-hole score of 664 after a 334 on Monday.
- Host Southern Illinois won the event with a team score of 615, five strokes ahead of second-place Indiana State. Thilda Staubo of the Sycamores was the individual medalist with a 144.
Inside the Round
- Valpo finished the tournament with 80 pars and seven birdies.
- Hodson and Shoemake led the team with 18 pars apiece, while Krueger had 17.
- Shoemake, Krueger and Hodson each had two birdies.
- Valpo finished seventh in the event in both Par 3 scoring (3.48) and Par 4 scoring (4.68).
Valpo will continue its tour of Missouri Valley Conference cities later this week by heading to Peoria, Ill. for the Bradley Spring Invite. The tournament will feature 36 holes on Saturday and 18 on Sunday. A link to live scoring will be available via BirdieFire.