The Valparaiso University women’s golf team completed the first 18 holes of the Indiana State Spring Invite on Sunday in Terre Haute. This marks the team’s final event prior to the Missouri Valley Conference Championship, which Valpo will host next week. The team turned in its best round of the season on Sunday.
How It Happened
- Kayla Krueger (Spring Lake, Mich. / Spring Lake) and Kylie Shoemake (Schererville, Ind. / Lake Central) each stroked a 76 (+4) in Round 1 of the tournament, leading the way for Valpo. They are tied for 16th of the 77 players competing.
- Tiffany Curtis (Crown Point, Ind. / Crown Point) is tied for 25th overall after notching a 77 (+5) on Sunday.
- Valpo holds a team score of 314 (+26), which ranks 10th of 13 teams. Valpo is ahead of Dayton, Eastern Illinois and Western Illinois and is just two strokes behind conference foe Evansville.
- Youngstown State is in first in the team standings at 285 (-3), while Katlyn Shutt of the Penguins holds the lead for medalist honors with a 69 (-3).
How It Happened
- Krueger topped her previous season best of 77, while Shoemake matched her personal season low round. The 76 scores tied the team’s best this season and the +3s marked the best scores in relation to par by a Valpo player this year.
- Valpo’s team score of 314 was its best 18-hole performance of the campaign, topping its previous mark of 318 set at the Loyola Fall Invitational. The +26 also marked Valpo’s best round in relation to par this season.
Thoughts from Head Coach Jill McCoy
“Kylie, Kayla and Tiffany all played very well today. Our players have spent the last two weeks focusing on our short game and their hard work paid off today. I’m excited to see if we can continue to show improvement as we compete in Monday’s round.”
The second and final round of the event will occur on Monday in Terre Haute.