For the first time this spring, the Valparaiso University women’s tennis team played with a full lineup as the team continued its journey back to complete health. The added depth showed in the results, as Valpo boasted several strong performances in a 4-3 setback to Dayton.
How It Happened
- Valpo’s No. 2 doubles team of Isabella Schoolcraft (Bargersville, Ind. / Center Grove) and Randi Wind (Park Ridge, Ill. / Maine South) put together a 6-3 victory over Kelly Pleiman and Emily Zargham to help Valpo draw even in doubles after dropping the No. 1 match. However, a close third doubles match went Dayton’s way, allowing the Flyers (2-5) to secure a doubles point that proved vital.
- In singles, Meg Modesto (Chesterton, Ind. / Chesterton) competed in the No. 2 spot in the lineup and registered a straight-set win, beating Zargham 6-3, 7-5.
- Another Valpo victory came at No. 6, where Jordan Kopfer (Eagan, Minn. / Eastview) continued her recent run of success by topping Kristina Benjamin 6-4, 6-3.
- Once Wind nailed down her tightly-contested 6-2, 5-7, 7-5 win at No. 5 singles against Mary Brascia, the match came down to No. 3 singles. Pleiman recorded a close 5-7, 6-4, 6-3 victory over Schoolcraft to clinch the team win.
Inside the Match
- Kopfer upped her record to 10-6 in singles on Saturday. She has strung together three straight wins.
- Modesto’s victory allowed her to climb to .500 at 6-6. She now has back-to-back wins.
- Wind has won three straight matches and has seven victories this season.
- In doubles play, Schoolcraft and Wind played together for the first time and enjoyed a victorious debut.
Valpo (2-7) will remain in Kalamazoo, Mich. to battle Western Michigan on Sunday at 10 a.m. CT. A link to live stats for that match is available on ValpoAthletics.com.