It was an unseasonably cool day by Florida standards on Tuesday as the Valparaiso University women’s tennis team visited Tampa for the first match of this year’s spring trip, but a bad weather day in Florida beats a good day just about anywhere else. It was certainly a good day for Meg Modesto (Chesterton, Ind. / Chesterton) and Jordan Kopfer (Eagan, Minn. / Eastview), who enjoyed singles wins in a 5-2 defeat to the host Spartans.
How It Happened
- After the first set reached a 6-6 tie, Modesto took a one-sided tiebreaker 7-1 against Corbin Dorsey at No. 2 singles. The Valpo senior continued her success in Set 2, grabbing a 6-3 victory.
- Later in the match, Kopfer secured the second win of the day for Valpo by besting Nicoline Palmgren 6-1, 6-4 at No. 6.
- Two of the three doubles matches were tightly-contested, but the Spartans (3-2) picked up 6-4 victories at No. 1 and No. 3 while also winning 6-0 at No. 2.
- The first, third, fourth and fifth singles matches all went the way of the Spartans in straight sets.
Inside the Match
- Modesto moved her season record to 7-7 with the victory including a 4-3 mark in dual play.
- Kopfer is now 4-1 over her last five matches and owns an 11-7 record on the season. She is one win away from drawing even with Jelena Vujanic for the team lead in victories.
Valpo will be back in action on Wednesday with a neutral-site match against Furman on the docket. Action is slated to get underway at 2 p.m. CT / 3 p.m. ET in Fort Myers, Fla.