Junior Dao Sysouvanh (Sun Prairie, Wis. / Sun Prairie) led the way for the Valparaiso University women’s tennis team on Sunday, capturing victories in both singles and doubles. She represented a bright spot of a 6-1 setback to Missouri Valley Conference foe UNI at Black Hawk Tennis Club in Waterloo, Iowa.
How It Happened
- Sysouvanh teamed up with sophomore Claire Czerwonka (Kenosha, Wis. / Saint Joseph Catholic Academy) for a 7-5 victory over Reghan Lynch and Claudia Toledo at No. 1 doubles. The Panthers (4-5, 1-2) took the No. 2 and No. 3 matches to win the doubles point.
- Sysouvanh battled her way back from an early hole against Harri Proudfoot at No. 3 singles. The Valpo junior lost the opening set 4-6, but then prevailed 7-5, 6-2 to nail down the match.
- Freshman Isabella Schoolcraft (Bargersville, Ind. / Center Grove) again played well, taking Daisy Phillips to a third set at No. 4 singles. Phillips came out on top 6-2, 5-7, 6-4.
- Another three-set affair came at No. 6, where Jordan Kopfer (Eagan, Minn. / Eastview) grabbed the first set but eventually fell to Olivia Fain 3-6, 6-1, 6-3.
- Czerwonka and Lynch engaged in a tight battle at the top singles spot, but Lynch prevailed 7-5, 7-5.
- UNI also had straight-set wins at No. 2 and No. 5 singles.
Inside the Match
- Sysouvanh recorded her fifth overall win of the season with four of them coming in dual matches. She gained her first MVC triumph of the year while improving to 2-1 in the last three matches and 3-2 in the last five.
- Czerwonka extended her team lead in doubles wins by registering her 11th, while Sysouvanh nailed down her sixth of the season. It was the first doubles win in conference play for a Valpo tandem this season.
- Czerwonka is up to 26 career doubles victories as only a sophomore after she racked up 15 a year ago.
- This represented Valpo’s final road match of the regular season.
Valpo will come home for the final nonconference match of the year and the penultimate regular season date. Chicago State will provide the opposition on Wednesday at 3 p.m. for a match that will take place either outdoors at the Valpo Tennis Complex or indoors at Match Point Tennis Club in Griffith.