Five players won at least one match and four prevailed in singles action on Friday as the Valparaiso University women’s tennis team opened up the UIC Invitational in Chicago. Freshman Olivia Czerwonka (Kenosha, Wis. / Saint Joseph Catholic Academy) went undefeated in singles action.
How It Happened
- Olivia Czerwonka topped UIC’s Georgia Gulin 7-4, 7-6 and Chicago State’s Katarina Drazic in a tight third set tiebreaker to win the match 6-1, 0-6, 11-9.
- The doubles combo of senior Claire Czerwonka (Kenosha, Wis. / Saint Joseph Catholic Academy) and sophomore Isabella Schoolcraft (Bargersville, Ind. / Center Grove) registered a win by topping Dukic/Andres of Chicago State 6-1.
- Freshman Amanda Tabanera (Valencia, Calif. / Valencia) garnered a 7-6(4), 6-3 win over Lizi Morgoshia of Chicago State in Round 1.
- Claire Czerwonka topped Drazic 6-4, 6-4 in the opening round, while freshman Demi Jhaveri also picked up a Round 1 win, hers coming in three sets. She topped Chicago State’s Andres 6-3, 2-6, 10-8.
Inside the Match
- Olivia Czerwonka upped her season record to 7-1 and took over sole possession of the team lead in singles victories with her showing on Friday.
- Claire Czerwonka enjoyed the 31st singles win of her career, the most among active players.
- Claire Czerwonka also picked up her sixth doubles win of the year, upping her career mark to 33. She has taken over sole possession of 10th in program history for career doubles wins, bumping Kathleen Hebble (2014-2017) from the program’s all-time leaderboard in that category.
The UIC Fall Invitational will continue on Saturday.