Sophomore Kweisi Kenyatte (Detroit, Mich. / East English Village Preparatory) provided a bright spot for the Valparaiso University men’s tennis team on Saturday as he accounted for the squad’s lone triumph in a 6-1 defeat to Drake in a rematch of last year’s Summit League final. Kenyatte’s win came at No. 3 singles in a match that took place outdoors at the Valpo Tennis Complex.
How It Happened
- Kenyatte prevailed 6-4, 7-6(6) to beat Calum MacGeoch in straight sets.
- The only match to go to three sets was No. 6, where Finley Hall topped Valpo’s Daniel Langston (Ponca City, Okla. / Ponca City) 6-2, 1-6, 10-5 in a third-set tiebreak.
- Another close match was at No. 4, where Bayo Philips edged Brian Pecyna (Glen Ellyn, Ill. / Homeschooled) 7-6(9) in the first set before capturing the second 6-2.
- Drake (15-13, 5-1) won No. 1 and No. 3 doubles by the scores of 6-3, while No. 2 doubles went unfinished.
Inside the Match
- Valpo (12-4, 2-2) saw its six-match winning streak screech to a halt.
- Kenyatte boosted his singles mark to 19-5 and has won 12 consecutive matches.
- The sophomore is already up to 39 career wins and needs one more to nail down his second straight 20-win campaign.
Valpo will continue Summit League action on Saturday, April 13 at 2 p.m. by hosting Omaha. If the weather cooperates, the match will be played at the Valpo Tennis Complex. If not, it will be held at Match Point Tennis Club in Griffith.