The final day of championship swimming came to a close today for the Valparaiso University women’s team at the MVC Championships. The final day was highlighted by multiple swimmers moving into the Valpo record books to end the season on a high note.
How It Happened
- The day’s final event featured the best record book placement of Saturday’s events for the Valpo women. The 400 free relay team of Paige Wright (Surprise, Ariz./Paradise Honors), Erica Martins (Hartland, Wis./Lake County Lutheran), Chiara Robinson (Castle Pines, Colo./Rock Canyon) and Morgan Markley (Bluffton, Ind./Norwell) moved into second in program history and placed eighth in the event, touching the wall in 3:32.33.
- Mikayla DePover (Rock Island, Ill./Rock Island) moved into third all-time in Valpo history after an impressive performance in the 200 breaststroke. Her time of 2:24.85 helped her finish 17th in the event finals.
- A pair of Crusaders moved up the program’s all-time chart in the 100 free prelims on Saturday. Markley swam a time of 53.18, fifth-best in program history, while Martins moved into sixth position in the record book with a time of 53.24.
- Sophie Morelock (Milan, Mich./Milan) just missed her season best in the 200 back, clocking a prelim time of 2:08.91 and then swimming a 2:08.93 in the finals to finish in 22nd
- Alexis Orange (Porter, Ind./Chesterton) started day four’s individual events off for the Brown and Gold in the 1650 free. The sophomore posted a 18:22.55 time in the opening event to finish 23rd.
- Senior Danielle Richardson (Valparaiso, Ind./Chesterton) led Valpo in the final individual swim of her career, posting a team-best time of 2:21.35 in the 200 fly prelims.
- Valpo’s 400 medley relay squad – comprised of Wright, DePover, Martins and Markley – registered a seventh-place finish with a time of 3:53.92.
- The women finished the conference championships with 127 points to finish in eighth position.