The Valparaiso University women’s tennis team returned to action on Friday, participating in the first day of the two-day UIC Invitational held the Flames Outdoor Tennis Courts in Chicago, Ill. The highlight of the day for Valpo was the performance of freshman Claire Czerwonka (Kenosha, Wis. / Saint Joseph Catholic Academy), who picked up a victory at No. 1 singles against UIC.
How It Happened
- The match was played as part of a hidden dual format, with Valpo competing against UIC in Friday’s singles session and Chicago State in the doubles session.
- Czerwonka picked up a victory over the Flames, defeating Georgie Sanders 6-3, 6-4.
- A pair of extra doubles matches were played between Valpo and UIC, with junior Meg Modesto (Chesterton, Ind. / Chesterton) and Jordan Kopfer (Eagan, Minn. / Eastview) notching a 6-0 victory over UIC’s Rachel Le Comber and Amelia Guevremont in one of those matches.
- The Valpo doubles teams dropped their matches against Chicago State, with freshmen Jelena Vujanic (Elk Grove Village, Ill. / Elk Grove) and junior Randi Wind (Park Ridge, Ill. / Maine South) falling 6-2 to one Cougar duo and sophomore Dao Sysouvanh (Sun Prairie, Wis. / Sun Prairie) and Czerwonka succumbing to another tandem by that same score.
- Vujanic, Sysouvanh, Modesto, Kopfer, Wind and Halle Roach (Libertyville, Ill. / Libertyville) also competed in singles matches against UIC.
Inside the Match
- Czerwonka’s win allowed her to climb into a tie with fellow freshman Vujanic for the team lead. They have four singles victories apiece on the young year.
- Modesto and Kopfer played doubles together for the first time this season. Both players notched their fourth doubles wins of the year. They played together nine times a year ago.
- Czerwonka’s win came over a junior who was a member of the all-Horizon League second-team last season.
The Crusaders will continue competition in the Flames Invitational in Chicago on Saturday, the final day of the event.