Valparaiso University women’s tennis freshman Jelena Vujanic (Elk Grove Village, Ill. / Elk Grove) did not take long to etch her name into the program record book. The Valpo rookie picked up her 16th win of the season in Friday’s 5-2 loss to Northern Kentucky at Match Point Tennis Club in Griffith. In the process, Vujanic moved into a tie for 10th in program history for singles wins in a single season.
How It Happened
- Win No. 16 for Vujanic came 6-3, 7-5 over Maria Koo in the No. 2 slot.
- Valpo’s other victory over the Norse (2-5) occurred at No. 4, where Dao Sysouvanh (Sun Prairie, Wis. / Sun Prairie) picked up a 6-2, 6-2 triumph over Taylor Culbertson.
- Valpo (5-8) fell on the remaining singles courts. Only the No. 3 singles match went to a third set, with Meg Modesto (Chesterton, Ind. / Chesterton) falling 4-6, 6-4, 10-8 to Sydney Power.
- The Crusaders lost the doubles point after defeats at No. 2 and No. 3, but Vujanic and Claire Czerwonka (Kenosha, Wis. / Saint Joseph Catholic Academy) did sustain their success, winning 6-1 over Koo and Culbertson at the top doubles spot.
Inside the Match
- Vujanic is now 16-3 on the year and is now part of a 10th-place tie for wins in a single season with Mara Sonkin (2000-2001) and Monika Danko (2001-2002).
- Furthermore, Vujanic holds an .842 winning percentage this season, a mark that would currently rank fourth all-time. Only four Valpo players have ever finished a season with a winning percentage of .800 or better.
- Czerwonka is pacing the squad with 12 doubles wins, while Vujanic is second on the team with 10. The two are 6-2 as a pair.
- Sysouvanh grabbed her eighth win of the season and the 13th of her career.
The Crusaders will round out a stretch of back-to-back matches against Horizon League competition on Wednesday, April 4 when they make the journey to Chicago for a showdown with UIC. That match is slated to get underway at 10 a.m. CT.