The Valparaiso University women’s tennis team started its first season in the Missouri Valley Conference with a tall task, hosting Drake on Saturday at Match Point Tennis Club in Griffith. The Crusaders dropped the MVC opener 7-0 with the No. 3 doubles duo notching Valpo’s lone victory of the day.
How It Happened
- Dao Sysouvanh (Sun Prairie, Wis. / Sun Prairie) and Jordan Kopfer (Eagan, Minn. / Eastview) edged Mela Jaglarz and Alex Kozlowski 7-6(10-8) at No. 3 doubles for Valpo’s lone win of the day.
- The Bulldogs (12-5, 2-0) still won the doubles point, with Summer Brills and Kenya Williams topping Meg Modesto (Chesterton, Ind. / Chesterton) and Randi Wind (Park Ridge, Ill. / Maine South) 6-4 at No. 2 and Tess Herder and Liza Petushkova gaining a 6-4 victory over Claire Czerwonka (Kenosha, Wis. / Saint Joseph Catholic Academy) and Jelena Vujanic (Elk Grove Village, Ill. / Elk Grove) at the top spot.
- Wind forced a third set tiebreak at No. 5 singles against Kozlowski, falling 6-4, 6-7(4-7), 10-4 in a tight match. Kopfer played Jaglarz to a close first set, falling 7-6(10-8) before Jaglarz also won the second set 6-1.
- The top four singles players for the Crusaders (5-10, 0-1) all succumbed to the opposition in straight sets.
Inside the Match
- This marked just the second time this season Valpo was held without a point and the first since Jan. 26 at Purdue.
- Drake had 44 points in the conference’s preseason poll, edging out Illinois State and Stony Brook (40 points apiece) as the preseason favorite. Drake claimed five titles at the MVC Individual Championships this past October.
- Kopfer and Sysouvanh each picked up their ninth doubles win of the season and their third as a pair. They were also winners on Wednesday at UIC and enter Sunday with a 2-0 record this week.
The Crusaders will welcome UNI to town for a 10 a.m. start on Sunday. That match will also take place at Match Point Tennis Club in Griffith. That will mark the final home match of the season for Valpo.