Freshman Charlie Toman (Chardon, Ohio / Notre Dame Cathedral Latin) owned the team lead for the Valparaiso University men’s golf team on Tuesday, carding a 74 in the third and final round of the UNA Spring Classic hosted by Northern Alabama. Valpo finished with a three-round team score of 900.
How It Happened
- Toman’s team-best Round 3 score allowed him to pace the squad in the tournament with a 223. He tied for 25th overall.
- Jack Juskow (Greenville, S.C. / Hamilton Southeastern) was second on the team for the tournament at 224 (t-31st), while Garrett Willis (Fort Wayne, Ind. / Homestead) was second in Round 3 with a 75.
- Valpo finished ninth in the team standings at +36. The team was two strokes behind a seventh-place tie between Southeastern Louisiana and DePaul and only four strokes in back of sixth-place Stetson. Valpo was two strokes ahead of conference foe Loyola and also finished in front of Morehead State and Murray State.
Inside the Round
- Valpo finished the tournament with a 4.22 average on Par 4 holes. The team had 161 pars, fifth among 12 teams, but had just 28 birdies (12th).
- Juskow hit 37 pars to tie for third among all individuals.
- Charlie Toman (Chardon, Ohio / Notre Dame Cathedral Latin) had a team-high 10 birdies.
Valpo will be back in action on Saturday, March 30 for the first day of the two-day Bradley Spring Invitational in Peoria, Ill. The tournament will feature 36 holes on Saturday and 18 on Sunday. A link to live scoring will be available via BirdieFire.