The Valparaiso University women’s golf team had its first 36-hole day of the year on Monday, competing in the first two rounds of the Loyola Fall Invitational at Flossmoor Country Club. Led by Kayla Krueger (Spring Lake, Mich. / Spring Lake), Valpo enters the final day of the tournament ahead of four teams in the standings including two former conference competitors.
How It Happened
- Krueger is tied for 10th overall with a team-best 157 through two rounds. She carded a 78 in the opening round before turning in a 79 in Round 2.
- Freshman Payton Hodson (Middleton, Wis. / Middleton) enjoyed a strong performance, finishing the day second on the team after a pair of 80s. Her 36-hole score of 160 is tied for 21st overall.
- Kylie Shoemake (Schererville, Ind. / Lake Central) turned in a 166, improving from an 84 in Round 1 to an 82 in Round 2. Tiffany Curtis (Crown Point, Ind. / Crown Point) made a seven-stroke improvement from Round 1 to Round 2.
- Shelby Schier (Greenwood, Ind. / Center Grove) was also part of the starting lineup, while Morgan Kier (Brownsburg, Ind. / Brownsburg) and Grace McMinn (Omaha, Neb. / Marian) golfed as individuals.
Inside the Round
- Valpo enters the final round in eighth of 12 in the team standings. The team score of 645 is ahead of Green Bay (651), UIC (657), Chicago State (676) and Cardinal Stritch (716). Valpo is just two strokes behind Omaha (seventh) and three strokes behind Creighton (sixth).
- Hodson led Valpo with three birdies, while Kier turned in a pair.
- Kier made her collegiate debut, while McMinn saw her first action of the season. McMinn had an 83 in Round 2, equaling a career best.
Thoughts from Head Coach Jill McCoy
“We were able to keep it steady in the second round today after a strong start in Round 1. We started to figure the greens out as the day moved along. I see a lot of opportunities for improvement tomorrow, and I think the girls are looking forward to making up a few strokes tomorrow as well.”
Valpo will round out the two-day Loyola Fall Invitational with 18 holes on Tuesday with a 9 a.m. shotgun start.