For the first time this season, the Valparaiso University women’s golf team competed on its home course on Monday. In preparation for hosting the MVC Championship in April, Valpo welcomed eight fellow Missouri Valley Conference programs to Sand Creek Country Club in Chesterton for the first 36 holes of the MVC Fall Preview.
How It Happened
- Tiffany Curtis (Crown Point, Ind. / Crown Point) was the top Valpo performer in the opening round, carding an 81. She finished the first day at 167, first on the team and tied for 21st overall.
- Freshman Payton Hodson (Middleton, Wis. / Middleton) turned in 88s in both rounds and heads into Round 3 with a 176, second on the team.
- Kayla Krueger (Spring Lake, Mich. / Spring Lake) led the team in the second round, bouncing back from an uncharacteristic Round 1 with a 14-stroke improvement. She turned in an 82 in Round 2.
- Valpo improved on its Round 1 score of 355 with a 343 in Round 2. The 36-hole score of 698 ranks ninth overall. Missouri State is the event leader at 642, with Bradley just one stroke behind. Missouri State’s Abby Cavaiani leads the way individually with a 152.
Inside the Rounds
- Valpo had nine birdies as a team, led by Krueger’s four. Those four birdies, three of which came in Round 2, were tied for fifth in the field.
- Curtis thrived on Par 4 holes, turning in a 4.60 average that ranked tied for seventh in the field. She chipped in three birdies.
Thoughts from Head Coach Jill McCoy
“It was a tough day. The playing conditions were the most difficult we’ve encountered so far this season. Tiffany was able to throw in a couple of birdies today, which was good to see.”
“Hosting the conference championship is a great privilege. We have a great facility for the event and a golf course that is challenging for all levels of players.”
The second day of the MVC Fall Preview will take place on Tuesday with tee times beginning at 8:30 a.m. off the first and 10th tees at Sand Creek Country Club in Chesterton.