The Valparaiso University bowling team continued action at the Allstate Sugar Bowl Invitational in Kenner, La. on Saturday, finishing the day in seventh position.
How It Happened
- Valpo opened the day, contested in the traditional team format, against #6 Stephen F. Austin. Despite a high game of 206 from sophomore Morgan Peacha (Henderson, Nev./Foothill), the Crusaders dropped the opener, 1041-931.
- Peacha topped 200 for the second straight match, rolling a 208 as Valpo fell to Florida A&M, 937-877.
- Junior Kendra Tryniski (Fulton, N.Y./Fulton) posted a 241 game while sophomore Becky Lohse (Chesterton, Ind./Chesterton) recorded a 206 in Valpo’s third match, but the Crusaders were edged by Jackson State, 975-954.
- Freshman Jess Soskich (Arlington Heights, Ill./Buffalo Grove) rolled a 234 and Tryniski registered a 221 game in the Crusaders’ fourth outing on Saturday, a 1050-954 defeat against #RV Lincoln Memorial.
- Valpo closed the day on a winning note, taking down #20 Prairie View A&M 979-852 as Soskich posted the Crusaders’ top game of the day with a 246 effort and Tryniski ended the day with a 200 game.
Between the Gutters
- Tryniski was the top-ranked Crusader bowler in the individual standings, as her 205.2 average over Saturday’s five matches ranks 17th in the field.
- In her first career tournament, Soskich averaged 220 over the Crusaders’ final three traditional matches of the day.
- Peacha’s efforts of 206 and 208 to open the day were the first two 200+ games of her Valpo career.
- Freshman Kayla Rossi (Gurnee, Ill./Warren Township) made her traditional debut and rolled a top game of 191 in the win over Prairie View A&M.
- Fellow rookies Sam Perez (Aurora, Ill./Oswego East) and Hannah Forton (Macomb, Mich./Dakota) also made their first traditional match appearances in a Crusader uniform.
Valpo (3-7) closes out the tournament on Sunday with bracket play, opening the day with a second consecutive match against Prairie View A&M. The day’s action is slated to get under way at 8:30 a.m.