The Valparaiso University bowling team resumed its 2017-18 season on Friday with the first of three days of action at the Mid-Winter Invitational in Jonesboro, Ark., earning a trio of victories – two of which came over teams ranked among the top-10 in the nation.
How It Happened
- The Crusaders returned to action Friday, contested in the five-game baker format, against #9 Tulane and edged the Green Wave by five pins, 906-901.
- Valpo made it back-to-back wins to start the day as it cruised to a 1004-906 victory over Drury before suffering a 1040-905 setback against #19 Louisiana Tech.
- The Crusaders then put together their best match of the day against their highest-ranked opponent, taking down #2 McKendree by a 1058-992 final. The 211.6 per game average ranks seventh-best in a single five-game baker match in program history.
- Concluding the day against the tournament hosts, the Crusaders fell 1006-882 to #3 Arkansas State.
- Valpo took down multiple top-10 opponents on the same day for the first time this season. Their three-win opening day was the Crusaders’ second-best first-day performance of the year.
Valpo (27-26) continues play from Jonesboro, Ark. on Saturday morning at 9:40 a.m. with traditional team matches.