The Valparaiso University bowling team opened up the 2018-19 season Friday at the Allstate Sugar Bowl Invitational in Harahan, La., hosted by Tulane. Valpo won three matches on the first day of competition, including its only contest against a top-10 team, and ended the day in ninth place.
How It Happened
- Valpo opened Friday’s action, contested in the five-game baker format, against #17 Louisiana Tech, falling 1010-838.
- Valpo rebounded for a 914-769 victory over #6 Stephen F. Austin in its next match, the program’s first win over its Southland Bowling League rival since January of 2015.
- After a relatively easy win over SFA, it was a tight victory in the next contest, as Valpo edged #RV Jackson State by an 813-805 final. The eight-pin margin of victory was the third-closest victory for Valpo in a five-game baker match all-time.
- A close decision in its next contest went against Valpo, as it fell to #RV Alabama State 873-863. But the Brown and Gold ended the day on a winning note with an 890-870 win over Alabama A&M.
- Valpo tallied 4,318 pins over Friday’s five matches to finish the day in ninth place out of the 14 competing teams, but sits just 75 pins out of sixth entering Saturday’s traditional team matches.
Valpo (3-2) continues action from Louisiana on Saturday, with the opening match of the day slated to begin at 8:55 a.m.