The Valparaiso University bowling team kicked off its lone home tournament of the year Friday at Lynwood Bowl in Lynwood, Ill., finishing the opening day of action of the Crusader Classic in second place.
How It Happened
- Valpo opened the day, contested in the five-game baker format, against Augustana. The two squads were tied heading into the fifth and final game, before Valpo bested Augustana in the finale, 191-169, to earn a 907-885 win.
- Another tight match would go Valpo’s way in the second contest of the day, as it edged out Aurora 863-849, led by a 210 opening game and a 201 in game four.
- Valpo’s third match will officially go down as a bye for NCAA win/loss purposes, as the Brown and Gold defeated the Iowa club team – bowling in the event as a pacer team – by a 924-771 final. A 226 in the first game set the tone for Valpo in that match.
- The lone loss of the day for Valpo came in match four, as it fell to Drury, 841-806.
- Valpo bounced back in a big way in the day’s finale, taking down Lewis 1008-750 to close out the first day of competition. Valpo rolled its best game of the day in game three with a 252 and finished out the rout with a 234 in the final game. The 258-point margin of victory is the fourth-largest in a five-game baker match in program history.
- Valpo finished the day with 4,508 total pins to sit in second place after day one, trailing only #21 UW-Whitewater in the team standings.
Valpo (15-15) continues hosting of the Crusader Classic on Saturday, as the tournament field will compete in five traditional team matches beginning at 9:30 a.m.