The Valparaiso University bowling team closed out the fall portion of its 2018-19 schedule on Sunday, earning a pair of wins on the final day of competition at the Warhawk Classic in Kenosha, Wis.
How It Happened
- Valpo opened Sunday’s action, bracket play in the best-of-seven baker format, against #18 Central Missouri. Valpo fell behind 1-0 to UCM, but came back to take the next two games, 220-167 and 185-165.
- Back-to-back games of 207 for Central Missouri put the Crusaders in a 3-2 hole, but despite UCM rolling a 234 in game six, Valpo bested the Jennies, 241-234, to force a decisive game seven. The finale went Valpo’s way, 186-178, to give it the 4-3 win and closing out a match where it posted a 194.6 average.
- Valpo pulled out to a big lead over #RV Youngstown State in its next match, winning each of the first three games, including efforts of 206 and 233.
- The Penguins came back with games of 204, 256, and 247 to even the match at three games apiece. For the second straight match, it would be Valpo who won the decisive game seven, edging out YSU 226-214 to earn the win. Valpo posted a 195.1 average over the seven games versus the Penguins.
- After back-to-back seven-game wins, Valpo closed the tournament against #14 Lincoln Memorial, falling 4-0 as it ended the tournament in 12th place.
Valpo (22-29) will now break from competition until January, when it returns to action the weekend of Jan. 11-13 at the Mid-Winter Invitational in Jonesboro, Ark.